Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter BBD carb rebuild

Any body real good with these things?

Mine has needed a rebuild for a while (hard starting, poor idle) as its been about 10 years since the last R&R. I need to replace the head gasket on my Cummins so I figured I better get the M880 in better shape while the W250 is down.

Anyway, I got the kit from NAPA and the instructions now days are horrible. Same type document but it looked like it had been copied so many times it was practically illegible. No big deal since I remember most of it and just needed the hints along the way.

BUT, when I got to the vaccum piston there was an adjustment I don't ever remember doing before and may have screwed up. It said something about adjusting the allen head on top and then resetting after adjusting the piston lever. Well I couldn't decipher what gap they were referring to so I guessed. Then I forgot how many turns I made...

So I guessed and then put it all back together hoping the carburator gods weren't looking. After tweaking a few things here and there everything was fine. But once out on the road there's a stutter upon acceleration like a bad accelerater pump. I pulled the top and "adjusted" that allen head AND the lever (nothing like changing multiple variables when trouble shooting huh?). After the third time it seems to be fine now although I haven't had her out on the main roads yet.

Can some one tell me how that vacuum piston should be set up properly? I may have accidently gotten it but I'd rather know how and double check.

Thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Here is a link to instructions on rebuilding the BBD autozone site no sure if it help but its free

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528007fd4d

Comment

Thanks

Thats considerably more detailed and the pictures are crisp. It explains eveything in more detail but leaves out the vacuum piston which is what I need. But it does have different figures for the accelerator pump so that could be my problem. Thanks,
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
      X