Dana 44 or Dana 60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 or Dana 60?

I just bought a W350 (1988) last night and it needs some front axle work. When I look under the hood for the data sticker, it is gone, so now I am up to taking my best guesses. I assumed that because it is a W350 (single rear wheels) that it would have a Dana 60 front axle, same as my 86 W250 with Sno Fighter pkg. But to know for sure is probably another story. What are the things to look for to make a true identification?

In the darkness (flashlights), my son read the door sticker and said the front axle is listed as 4500 lb capacity. My 66 YO eyes could not read that sticker in the low light levels.

Next up is the problem I need to solve. The right side front axle shaft (short shaft) is sloppy loose. It will move very easily into the axle housing and back into the hub, and meanwhile it will move up and down and forward and back more than 1/8" and maybe a 1/4". There is gear oil coming out of the axle housing (not dripping, but that part of the truck won't rust for many years). Where is the axle shaft seal located? And can it be serviced without opening the pumpkin? This truck has been used as a farm truck for the last 6 years and is fairly stock, showing no signs of abuse or being a "mudder". I doubt the front axle has been submerged, so water contamination is not likely. The PO even kept it in his barn all the time and rarely drove it in the winter (very little rust).

I welcome your advice. Thank You!

Paul in MN

When looking at the differential cover from the front of the truck, there should be "60" or "44" cast into the housing at the 5 o'clock position, just outside the cover.

Bucky

Comment

Axle shaft servicing requires hub to be removed from steering knuckle.

Bucky

Comment

4500# axle is a Dana 60. 3500# axle is a Dana 44. I bought an '83 W350 SRW and it had a Dana 60 front and rear.

Comment

Thanks for your replies

Thanks to Don and 712 for your replies. After doing some preliminary work on this "new" truck, I am pretty confident I have a Dana 60 FA.Now I hope someone gives me a clue about whether there is a short-cut in replacing that oil seal which is supposed to keep the axle oil in the pumpkin area. I have the Mopar service book and have viewed the parts breakout for this axle. My guess is that I have to remove the ring gear and diff carrier section in order to replace this seal. And I am hoping that guess is wrong. I have replaced short shafts before on previous trucks (mostly due to U joint failures), so I am familiar with how the hub needs to be separated from the knuckle to get the shaft out.I did not know about the "44" or "60" being stamped into the cast housing. I was guessing that the 44 has a lesser number of bolts in the diff cover. This axle has 10 bolts on the cover (same as my 86 W 250 Sno Fighter).Thanks for the replies!Paul in MN

Comment

If you dont mind doing a bit of online reading, go to www.pirate4x4.com

Its a rockcrawler & hard-core off-road site. They have some tech pages with TONS of info about the Dana 60 axles.

The forums there have lots of info too, but certain areas are NOT friendly to newcomers with questions. I read, but dont ask anything.

Also I think that to pull the ring/pinion & carrier out of a Dana 60, you need a housing spreader.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
            X