GM engine swap to Power Wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM engine swap to Power Wagon?

Call me crazy, but I am looking at picking up an 78 Dodge CrewCab military truck 4x4, and I darn sure I want to put a diesel in it...with this said, I would prefer a 6.2L GM diesel than a Cummings. Just way more cost effective. Has anyone seen this done? How difficult would this be? Does anyone make engine mount conversions for this type of swap??? It has a 318 with a 727 auto tranny. Thanks in advance.

Wrong place to ask a GM question, but

I wonder how cost effective it really is to cross brands. That truck is ready for a Cummins already. Find a 12 valve and drop it in. About the only serious mod you'd might end up making is moving the trans crossmember.
    Swapping in a 6.2 will involve a lot of engineering, and they're cheap for a reason...

Comment

yup backa$$wards engineering / a cummings is plug and play

Comment

gm 6.2

Other than higher fuel mileage, the 6.2 swap would yield no benefit at all. The 6.2 has a comparable horsepower, torque, and tow rating as a 305 c.i. Chevrolet small block engine. Putting a turbo charger on it helps it, but that is another 2,500-3,000 dollars on top of what you are already considering. If you swap to a diesel, Cummins is by far the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dbear View Post
          Call me crazy, but I am looking at picking up an 78 Dodge CrewCab military truck 4x4, and I darn sure I want to put a diesel in it...with this said, I would prefer a 6.2L GM diesel than a Cummings.

There is no "G" in Cummins. They don't like that.

Comment

My guess is that after all the work to swap a 6.2 into it, you will probably miss the 318 that is in there now.

Cummins.

Comment

I am not aware of anyone making adapters for such a conversion. There are people, however, who have used that engine in repowering Dodges. You are left with fabricating your own mounts and whatever adapters that might be required.

Use of a non-Chrysler engine always sparks controversy, but there are people who are fond of particular engines. I have had a decades long fascination with putting a 425 Olds in an early Power Wagon, as a result of my history with Oldsmobile. I have two of them and there is still time.

This is America. We have freedom of choice.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
              X