76 np203 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 np203 conversion

I was wondering if anyone has converted an np203 to part time. I have a 76 Trailduster daily driver that I want to put a MileMarker 501 kit in to convert the t-case to part time; I would like to install the shaft kit 75-32203, but it appears that they don't make it anymore. Can I leave the front axle the way it is or should I install the MileMarker 602 kit with the lockout hubs? I am looking to get rid of some axle bind when I make a sharp/hard turn. Any info would be very helpful.

I had a friend who did the transfer case upgrade to his '78, and he said he loved it. I would convert to lockout hubs, if you don't it would be like driving a truck with locking hubs locked all the time. It's not a huge issue, as many modern trucks are this way, but selectable hubs are nice to have.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go with just the t-case conversion for now. I can always upgrade the axle later if it gives me trouble.

Comment

That's what I would do too. Especially since it probably isn't your daily driver, and you can always spend the cash later if you feel like it.

Also, It might be cheaper, when you get to that point, to just throw a junkyard axle out of an 80's truck with locking hubs already in it. Anyways good luck, and I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Comment

1972 to 1974 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern
          1975 to 1979 5 x 4 1\2 bolt pattern
          1980 to 1993 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern

Comment

I finnaly got to put in the tcase conversion kit. Had to shim out the tail section about an eighth of an inch to get the proper endplay, but otherwise it went very well. It makes driving the truck much more enjoyable having rear wheel drive. I would definately recomend it to someone. And yes, this is my daily driver.

Comment

dont forget that you gotta put it in 4x4 once a month or so to lube the t-case / without the front turning the t-case gets NO lube

Comment

I didn't put lockouts on the front axle, so I don't need to worry about any lubrication issues. But puting it in 4X4 is very important to do if the front has been converted.

Comment

What if I'm using a 203 that is stock but using locking hubs?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldred89 View Post
                    What if I'm using a 203 that is stock but using locking hubs?
                    If the 203 is stock & you put locking hubs on:
                    (A) With the hubs locked it will function as it did with original drive flanges (hubs).
                    (B) with the hubs UNlocked the vehicle will not drive unless the transfer case is shifted into Hi-Loc or Lo-Loc, which means everything (front drivehaft, front differential, front axle shafts/u-joints) is still rotating (just not connected to the wheels).

The conversion of a NP203 to part-time or the addition of selectable locking hubs to a NP203 equiped vehicle just doesnt make sense to me, but I understand the desire for part-time 4x4 in a 75-79 truck. Dodge maybe should have offered the parttime NP205 during those years as an option, like GM/Ford did. Oddly Chrysler owned New Process at the time.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      If the 203 is stock & you put locking hubs on:
                      (A) With the hubs locked it will function as it did with original drive flanges (hubs).
                      (B) with the hubs UNlocked the vehicle will not drive unless the transfer case is shifted into Hi-Loc or Lo-Loc, which means everything (front drivehaft, front differential, front axle shafts/u-joints) is still rotating (just not connected to the wheels).

The conversion of a NP203 to part-time or the addition of selectable locking hubs to a NP203 equiped vehicle just doesnt make sense to me, but I understand the desire for part-time 4x4 in a 75-79 truck. Dodge maybe should have offered the parttime NP205 during those years as an option, like GM/Ford did. Oddly Chrysler owned New Process at the time.

Bucky
                      ok, good info.

The reason I have this combo is I am doing a 4wd swap in my 2wd. And I got a d44 cheap that has locking hubs. And I got a 360/np4530/np203 with a pto on tranny and on t-case.

Just happen to be the parts I could get at the time.

Comment

Ok, and BTW I wasnt knocking what you were doing. I have seen your pictures & think you have an excellant project. The NP203 is a pretty good transfer case.

Bucky

Comment

Ok, and BTW I wasnt knocking what you were doing. I have seen your pictures & think you have an excellant project. The NP203 is a pretty good transfer case.

Bucky
                          Thanks, I'm new to 4x4's but I'm jumping in head first.

I just looked up info on the tranny im using and it sounds like a cool one. np4530. apparently a close ratio 4spd with 1st gear synchro'd...? im attempting to put all of the new powertrain in tomorrow and see how it all works in the next week.

Comment

My second full-size Dodge ago was a '75 W200 with the stock front end and a MileMarker-converted NP203. I put about 10K miles (or less) on the truck without any real issues. I sold the truck to an acquaintance and no problems have been reported in the last 7 years.

However, I preferred the unconverted W300 I had...it was stolen, so I cannot comment on it's further working.

Comment

Dodge maybe should have offered the parttime NP205 during those years as an option, like GM/Ford did. Oddly Chrysler owned New Process at the time.

Bucky
                              I was under the impression that they did. Hard evidence anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X