Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is 1983 318 2bbl heads the same as 1983 4bbl heads ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 1983 318 2bbl heads the same as 1983 4bbl heads ?

Hello guys.........
    i have a 1983 w150 with 318 2 bbl, is the 2 bbl heads the same as the 4 bbl heads of same year ?
    thanks, tiffany

Yes, they are the same.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Hello Gordon Manley.........
      that is good news, so i can just get a 4 bbl intake and carb to bolt on my 318 2 bbl and swap it ? what about the smog stuffs on it, are they different between 2 bbl and 4 bbl's of the same year or go aftermarket edlerbrock 4 bbl intake # 3776 and holley #4160 600cfm as they both are 50 state smog legal (i think). are the 2 bbl and 4 bbl cams spec. the same ? I am trying to increase torque at least 50 pounds on otherwise bone stock 318 motor from the stock 230 foot pounds to 280 ? maybe you would a better idea perhaps ?

thanks guys, Tiffany

Comment

Originally posted by tiffy's W150 View Post
        Hello Gordon Maney.........
        that is good news, so i can just get a 4 bbl intake and carb to bolt on my 318 2 bbl and swap it ?
        Yes.

what about the smog stuffs on it, are they different between 2 bbl and 4 bbl's of the same year
        No.

or go aftermarket edelbrock 4 bbl intake # 3776 and holley #4160 600cfm as they both are 50 state smog legal (i think).
        That would be a possibility for you.

are the 2 bbl and 4 bbl cams spec. the same ?
        I don't know, but I would think not.

I am trying to increase torque at least 50 pounds on otherwise bone stock 318 motor from the stock 230 foot pounds to 280 ? maybe you would a better idea perhaps ?

thanks guys, Tiffany
        There are some others here who likely have experience with performance modifications.

Comment

Gordon, you are so Manley.

Comment

I've been told that on occasion.

Comment

hello guys........
              I know i asked alot of questions as i was trying to decide what to do with my W150 in fixing it up to make it an everyday driver, sorry guys i am learning everything i can about the W150's and to hear from other owners who have the W150,W250 and W350's with the 318's. I would like to hear other owners of their trucks and stories. I can tell you this much that the W150 i have now is a lot better than the 1969 chevy C-10 stepside i had few years ago and the worse thing about it is NO POWER STEERING !!!!!!! and i am not a strong woman so i had very hard time steering the stupid thing so gotten RID of it LOL.

thanks guys,tiffany

Comment

The whole purpose of the forums is answering questions, so don't feel bad about that.

Comment

Tiffany,

You can use the 1985 and later factory 318 swirl port heads, casting number 4323302. These heads have a smaller combustion chamber, which increases compression, and swirl ports increase combustion efficiency. The exhaust ports on these heads flow better than previous 318 heads, as well. Use these heads with either the stock 2 barrel carburetor or you can switch to a 4 barrel carb. for even more of a power increase. The factory 4 barrel intake manifold has port sizes for the 360 heads, but the Edelbrock Performer manifold, number 3776, has port sizing matched to 318 heads. The Performer will give the smoothest flow transition with 318 heads. The Mopar Performance camshaft, number 4452757 will give an increase in power as well. The trick is to not over cam or over carburate the engine. The above combination will give you a much peppier engine.

Comment

hello USN78W150........
                    boy this is getting to be a INTERESTING topic, is the mopar performance cam 4452757 smog legal cam or 50 state legal ? I live in california as i am interesting in getting little more torque and still be able to pass the smog laws for the 1983 model year. My truck is a 318 2bbl if that helps ?
                    thanks guys,Tiffany

Comment

That cam will pass the smog test. In what County do you have to have your emissions testing done?

Comment

Hello USN78W150......
                        the name of the county I live is "BUTTE", Northern ca.

thanks guys
                        Tiffany

Comment

I was wondering if your county is one where they use a dynamometer when doing the smog testing, but you seem remote enough that it should not be an issue. I have a couple of friends that are attending classes at Chico this semester.

Comment

Hello USN78W150.....
                            no, so far i have seen them using the tailpipe stiffer and computer. will i be able to pass it this way ?
                            thanks guys,Tiffany

Comment

318 2 barrel heads ARE different than 318 4 barrel heads because there 360 4 barrel heads / the PORT sizes are very different

Comment

Working...
                              X