Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 W150 speedometer cable and cable housing

hello Guys...........

I have a 1983 W150 with 318-1 and 727 but my speedometer cable and cable housing is disconnected as it came with a cruise control and that is missing so i would like to replace the speedometer cable housing and cable to do without the cruise control. does anyone know how long the cable is as i checked auto zone parts and NAPA parts, they have 2 sizes a 80 inch or 100 inch. Is one end of the cable connected to the transfer case or the transmission housing ?
    thanks guys, Tiffany

My guess is the 80" is for a 2wd & 100" is for the 4wd truck. Yours is 4wd, correct?

Yes one end goes to the transfer case, driver's side (probably near/on the tailshaft).

Bucky

Comment

hello 712edf.....
      yes my truck is a 4 by 4 (W150) so 100 inch cable is the one to get.
      thanks guys,Tiffany

Comment

Speedo cable

Be very careful when you snap the new cable on to the speedometer head. The plastic clip can break very easily. I know this from recent experience...had to buy another cable soon after installing the first one. Good luck!

Comment

hello 75Crew....
          thanks for the warning about the plastic clip as i didn't know that. I will try to be careful. any other tips to make the installation easier ?

thanks guys, Tiffany

Comment

Speedo cable installation tips

Tiffy's W150: I found the easiest way to install the new speedo cable is as follows:
            1) disconnect the battery (should be done anytime you are working behind the instrument panel to keep from shorting the ammeter to ground - also remove any rings and/or watches, bracelets, etc from your hands)
            2) remove the front plastic instrument panel cover
            3) remove the radio (if equipped)
            4) place your right hand through the radio installation hole and find where the speedo cable attaches to the speedo head. There will be an integral plastic retaining clip on the cable that is seated in a groove on the speedo head.
            5) Squeeze the clip against the cable and pull the cable away from the speedo head. Should be fairly easy at this point.
            6) Depending on whether it has solidified from age or not, you will need to pull the rubber grommet, that the speedo cable runs through, out of the firewall. This will also likely result in pulling the speedo cable out of the hole, which is what you want to do.
            7) If the rubber grommet is still flexible, remove it from the old cable and slide it onto the new cable.
            8) Crawl under the truck and unscrew the other end of the old speedo cable.
            9) Take careful notice of the routing of the old cable, pull it out and re-route the new cable in the approximate same path taking care not to kink it and when making turns, they need to be wide. Do not connect the new cable to the transfer case at this point.
            10) Push the top end of the new cable into the firewall hole. At this point, it is helpful (but not necessary) to have someone else inside the cab helping to guide the cable to the right position behind the speedo head.
            11) Spin the internal core of the new cable (it has been compressed to a square shape on the end) so it lines up with the speedo head square hole and push it into the sqare hole. At this point, the new cable plastic clip should snap into place.
            12) Slide the rubber grommet back into place (or replace it with a new one if it is hard and inflexible) in the firewall taking care not to put strain on the new cable. This could result in popping off the plastic clip. (I popped that clip on my install recently and had to buy a new cable.)
            13) Once that end is secured in place, go back under the truck and insert the other end of the cable into the transfer case, careful to make sure it slides into place - don't force it. The internal core may need to be spun a bit to make it fit into the end of the speedo gear of the transfer case.
            14) Once the cable is in place, tighten the retaining nut snug but not too much torque (it is aluminum and you could strip the threads if you get rough with it.)
            15) Take your vehicle for a test drive. Depending on the condition of your speedometer head unit, the needle may be smooth or it may jump a bit at low speeds but should steady out when you get past 20mph. If it jumps wildly at all speeds, you likely have a problem with the speedo head at which point it will have to come out for repair or you may ruin another speedo cable.

Good luck!!

Comment

hello 75Crew........
              thank you so much for helping me with the speedometer cable installation step by step, as i installed the cable today and everything works GREAT !!!!!!!!!!! the needle moves very smoothly and no jumps or shaking !!!!!!!!!! i was surprise how well it worked after being broken for long time. the old cable was broken (the inside one) and cable housing is very stiff and dirty. I got new cable housing and cable from auto zone parts for 16.00 and it was 80 inches long, at first i thought it looked too short but turns out to be the right size.
              THANK YOU 75Crew !!!!!!!!!!!
              Tiffany

Comment

Originally posted by tiffy's W150 View Post
                hello 75Crew........
                thank you so much for helping me with the speedometer cable installation step by step, as i installed the cable today and everything works GREAT !!!!!!!!!!! the needle moves very smoothly and no jumps or shaking !!!!!!!!!! i was surprise how well it worked after being broken for long time. the old cable was broken (the inside one) and cable housing is very stiff and dirty. I got new cable housing and cable from auto zone parts for 16.00 and it was 80 inches long, at first i thought it looked too short but turns out to be the right size.
                THANK YOU 75Crew !!!!!!!!!!!
                Tiffany
                Glad it worked well for you! Most of the time, it is nice to work off of someone else's experience and avoid mistakes that they have already made. Believe me, I have made many mistakes in my years of working on trucks, but I have also benefited a lot from the experience of others many times. I guess that is one of the things that makes this forum and others so valuable.

Comment

hello 75Crew..........
                  this forums is indeed valuable !!!!!!! and very helpful when power wagon guys help each other. SMILE.
                  thanks guys, Tiffany

Comment

Working...
                  X