Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old girl does not want to leave home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old girl does not want to leave home.

Since it does not get used much any more because I have the dump truck I decided to put it on ebay. Had several responses and a couple of calls and one guy who lives near me ask to see it. The day he was due to visit I made sure everything was in good order and fired it up. Starter spun and the engine started immediately, good sign, shut it down and waited until mid-afternoon for him to show.

He walked around, looked it over, thought it was what he wanted but did wish to hear it run and drive it. No problem I thought wrongly, jumped in turned the key and heard click then nothing, tried again--- same results-- Ok low battery, I can solve that problem.

Hooked up the fast charger and in short time it's meter showed charged. To fast for a dead battery I thought but oh well try again, turned the key again--CLICK, seems to be getting louder, mocking me. Prospective buyer was gone like a shot. Just not going to turn out be a good day.

Starter bad? I had put in a new rebuilt one a little over a year ago when it failed at a convenience store where I had stopped before going to help a friend but that is where my mind went, crappy rebuild! Next day rolled under and dropped it out, looked ok but that means little to nothing, checked online to see if the local auto supply store had one and yes. Now that's better, might get this problem solved before the next buyer shows up.

On the off chance my diagnosis was faulty and while I was there had them test mine when. What, its good? Ok what am I missing here, starter good, battery good, DOH... It's the relay you numb skull. I hate getting old! Ok ask for a relay and the starter, I'll solve this yet.

Guess what? No relay in stock, now I am getting upset with my self, could have called them and had it waiting for me but OH NO I knew what I was doing when I decided it was a defective starter. Did I mention I hate getting old?

Next day the relay was at the store, picked it up, drove home, installed it and my old starter and finally problem solved. But I still had the new starter so back to the parts store to get a refund and at least that went with out a hitch. Now she starts easily again so I guess the old girl does not want to lose all the attention I have given her over the past 13 years.

Last edited by Gordon Maney; 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM.

Your prospective buyer was not a Dodge person. Your truck sensed that, and acted accordingly.

My boss is a Chevy-man. He owns two Dodges (2006 Ram2500 4x4 cummins, 78 B300 motorhome 360). Both Dodges give him trouble & stay broke down alot. He hates them. I can get them running fine & they will work for me indefinately, until he touches them.

Only those annointed can have a Dodge.

Bucky

Comment

It's been my experiance that every time something goes wrong with these trucks it's been so long since the last time it broke that I've got to re learn to diagnosis the problem.Then I just feel dumb ....or old.

Comment

I keep my hand written notes on the wiring. I can wire a 72-80 truck from scratch. In fact when I buy a truck I usually just go ahead & remove ALL wiring & redo it.

Bucky

Comment

hello carter davidson and guys...
          Love the colors and pattern of your M37. I wish someone can show me how to make a pattern like that on my 1983 W150 "rootbeer" truck using the spray rattle cans with tan and brown colors. How do you make the paint stick on the chrome like the bumpers and outside mirrors/frame ? i am pretty good in using the spray rattle cans for my hobby use as i think the name brand "KRYLON", i use them for years with good results. I have even a bigger problem, its the steering assembly the ignition switch actuator rack is broken as i don't know how to replace that as it controls the actuator rod that starts the engine. should the whole steering assembly be replaced with another assembly from junk yard ? I purchased the truck last Dec and the owner before me must have abused the truck so now i am trying to fix it up to make it a good daily driver with very little money as i am on fixed income. sigh........
          thanks guys ....... Tiffany

Comment

712, I think you are correct he was not a Dodge person althought he was driving a Dodge minivan but even that must not like him as it was leaking a large puddle of transmission fluid onto my driveway.

Ross and 712, Never had an electrical problem with this truck before, so I completely forgot about it having a starter relay.

Tiffany, mine is a former military truck and did not come with chrome bumpers and mirrors and was painted when I got it.
            I am not sure what an ignition switch actuator rack is so I am unable to help you with that problem.

Comment

The ignition switch rod that Tiffany is refering to was added around 80 model. Seems like my 79 W200 may have had it too.

I am a firm believer in push button starter switches, or one from military/heavy equipment.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                I keep my hand written notes on the wiring. I can wire a 72-80 truck from scratch. In fact when I buy a truck I usually just go ahead & remove ALL wiring & redo it.

Bucky
                You are meaning you remove the entire wiring harness, fabricating one from scratch?
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Carter, I think it all means you should keep the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    You are meaning you remove the entire wiring harness, fabricating one from scratch?
                    Yes I remove the entire harness. Then I remove the majority of the black "tape". I check each wire visually & with an Ohmmeter. I remove wires that go to "nowhere" or those that I deem redundant. I almost always find wires that have gotten heat damage (under dash usually) or corrosion (under hood).

I dont EVER have or want any radio in my truck. I'm busy driving. Fewer options are better.

Almost always some previous owner has cobbled up the wiring, either through the attempted addition of trailer lights or some aftermarket stereo or other gadget. I try to get things back to stock.

All connectors are cleaned, anywhere were voltage or ground could be lost. I recommend extra ground straps be added. Frame to cab, frame to bed etc. Essentially the whole truck is a giant ground wire, as designed by Dodge. Think about it! Every fender, every body panel, every lick of frame/drivetrain should act as a ground if called upon.

I dont rewrap wires with black tape, but use those plastic pull-ties instead. Doesn't look "factory concours" but I dont show my trucks, I drive them.

I mainly fool with 72 through 78 trucks. Once you hit 1981 it gets too irritating to deal with wires & vacuum hoses. Pre 72 trucks are simple, but generally have more missing components.

Bucky

Comment

That must be quite a bit of work. I admire your intensity.

If you do this again, take pictures and write an article for the magazine, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                        That must be quite a bit of work. I admire your intensity.

If you do this again, take pictures and write an article for the magazine, please!
                        I will do.

I usually bring all the wiring indoors & lay it out on the floor of my apartment. (I'm a bachelor & don't have/want much furniture)

Its quite an intimidating appearing task, but I have done this dozens of times. Virtually every 70's Dodge truck I have owned gets this done soon after purchase. Its just the same as changing oil or greasing the suspension. I consider it standard procedure anymore.

Years of keeping notes & having my manuals handy helps.

Bucky

Comment

Furniture just gets in the way of truck parts and other neat stuff.

Comment

i'll trade ya

a teenager for a wiringharness

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                              ... I check each wire visually & with an Ohmmeter. ..Bucky
                              How is this done? Attach a lead to each wire end and then whats the meter supposed to say?
                              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X