Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Problem

It's been about two months since I had the initial problem. I tried starting my truck and the key seemed to stick with the starter engaged. I immediately turned the key off and could swear I smelled burning wire. I tried starting later in the day. Nothing.The a/c fan switch quit working at the same time. I have since run a hot wire to start and a switch to the a/c fan. I replaced the ignition wire harness (its about a foot long).Still didn't help. I would like to get it back to starting with the key and getting the fan to more than wide open. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The key sticks in the steering column.... the rotating part that accepts the key, you mean? it won't turn back from the start position?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Ignition

I can get the key out. When I put the key in an turn it nothing happens. I have to turn the key and then touch a wire from the stater relay to a hot wire from my fuse box. Thanks

Comment

In your first post you are saying the key sticks with the starter engaged. I am uncertain as to what you are meaning there.

Can you explain further?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I am guessing by what I'm reading that the "start" function of the ign switch is not working, but the "run" function is.

Could be ign switch.

What year/type vehicle? Column or dash switch.

Bucky

Comment

Yes

Yes Bucky. Truck is an 84 W350 Crewcab.The start function does not work. I do have to have the key in the run position to hot wire it. I've had the column apart and I changed the ignition harness. Did I miss something? What's next?

Comment

It could be the switch itself. Requires pulling the steering wheel & lock cylinder. If you have tilt steering then an extra tool (spring compressor) may be needed in the disassembly.

Before messing with the switch, check the neutral safety switch (if you have an automatic transmission). It works by providing a ground circuit for the starter relay. Also starter relay could be bad.

Exactly where are you jumping the starter at, the relay?

Do you have a 12V test light?

Bucky

Comment

Thanks

My truck does have an automatic and non tilt column. I changed the starter relay and it didn't solve the problem. I ran the hot wire to one of the wires at the starter relay. I have an 84 D350 crewcab with the same problem. I think you have narrowed it down to the switch itself or the neutral safety switch.Where do I look for the neutral safety switch? I do have a test light. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by captfrankie View Post
                  My truck does have an automatic and non tilt column. I changed the starter relay and it didn't solve the problem. I ran the hot wire to one of the wires at the starter relay. I have an 84 D350 crewcab with the same problem. I think you have narrowed it down to the switch itself or the neutral safety switch.Where do I look for the neutral safety switch? I do have a test light. Thanks
                  The NSS is on the driver's side of the transmission, has a plug going to it with 3 wires. Very near where the shifter linkage is. One of the wires goes to the starter relay. Remove it at the relay & see if it is grounded when the shifter is in Park/Neutral. That is done by attaching the 12V test light wire to it & touching the other end (pointy part) to the POS terminal of battery. it should light up ONLY in Park/Neutral. If it does then NSS is good. If not then run jumper wire from Starter relay (where NSS wire goes) to NEG terminal of battery & see if truck cranks with key. If not then I'd suspect ign switch is bad.

Bucky

Comment

It could be the pickup coil in the distributor.There is a run side and a start side,the start side could be out.That's why if you put the key in the run position and then hot wire it under the hood it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by captfrankie View Post
                      ...the key seemed to stick with the starter engaged. ..
                      This makes me think ignition switch - either way, its bad or dry if the key sticks on "start".

Verify with the NSS like Bucky said.
                      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

AC switch not working is anything else working in the truck if it isn't hot wired?
                        Mine was the amp gauge burned out and everything went dead!

Comment

Working...
                        X