Disc brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc brakes?

My 76 W200 has drums all the way around. It has a 205 with locking hubs. A friend has a 76 front axle for sale with discs. My question is, would I be able to convert my locking axle front end to disc brakes with the available 76 front axle? the master, booster, and proportioning valve are also available.
    Thanks
    David

Is the 76 axle a Dana 44 or 60? Just curious.

Swapping the whole axle is the easiest route. But then you'd have no provision to unlock the hubs, at least not on the 76 Dana 44. The Dana 60 drive flanges can be replaced with selectable locking hubs.

81-84 Dana 44 front (8 lug) has both, disc brakes & locking hubs.

bucky

Comment

Be sure it is the same gear ratio and wheel bolt pattern. You could swap the parts to your axle if the gears are different. The easiest to do that is take the knuckle off with everything still attached, even the shaft. You will need the valve and master cylinder as you said. Parts are plentifull for these axles so don't fear jumping in.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        Is the 76 axle a Dana 44 or 60? Just curious.

Swapping the whole axle is the easiest route. But then you'd have no provision to unlock the hubs, at least not on the 76 Dana 44. The Dana 60 drive flanges can be replaced with selectable locking hubs.

81-84 Dana 44 front (8 lug) has both, disc brakes & locking hubs.

bucky
        Sorry to high jack but can anyone identify this d44 axle? What has confused me is it's 3.54 gears(makes me lean dodge)
        But it has Chevy like calipers and rotor guards. And it uses 2 3.5" u bolts same length on the p.s( I'm used to seeing the dodges with studs and the Chevy with a long and a short u bolt on the p.s.)
        I was told it was a 76 dodge but with the discs and locking hubs I'm skeptical.
        My assumption is dodge set up with Chevy outers? Oh and it's flat top both sides.

Dis regard the tie rod( that's off a ford for my poor mans crossover steering)

Comment

Chevy and Dodge have different spring pad width. I don't remember what the measurement is but check. Chevy also had a 10 bolt front that looks like a Dana 44. A Dana will have a noticable number in the housing identifing it. The pics you have are showing 2 types of steering setup, I'm calling it hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
            Chevy and Dodge have different spring pad width. I don't remember what the measurement is but check. Chevy also had a 10 bolt front that looks like a Dana 44. A Dana will have a noticable number in the housing identifing it. The pics you have are showing 2 types of steering setup, I'm calling it hybrid.
            It is a Dana 44. That is cast in. And the springs line right up with stock dodge truck 32 on center perch to perch. And yes the steering is hybrid. Has a ford tie rod on it for crossover steering.

Comment

I guess im looking for someone to say that there was a time that dodge had an all u bolt set up and not just the studs.

I'm pretty confident at least the hubs are Chevy because the brakes.

Comment

ALL I can say for certain, its not a 60.

Nice work you got going there:-)

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                  ALL I can say for certain, its not a 60.

Nice work you got going there:-)

Bucky
                  Ya I wish it were a 60!

Comment

Bucky, both mine and the other are Dodge 44s.
                    Greg, I'm thinking of just taking the disc brake setup and putting on my axle, as it has already been converted to locking hubs. Just wnated to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I've never tore one apart, so I'm in the dark.
                    David

Comment

That is definitely a Chevy Dana 44. The Chevy uses 4 u-bolts on each side where the Dodge unit has 2 u-bolts on the left and 1 u-bolt/2 studs on the right side.

Even the 2wd you're converting from should have had front disc brakes. The W-series received disc brakes beginning in '75. Perhaps your W200 is a 73/74?

Second, what's with the blocks under the springs?

Comment

Yes, truck may be 74 or older. They still had drum brakes, selectable locking hubs & NP205 divorced t-case.

1976 would be married NP203 case, disc brakes & NO selectable locking hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by rxinhed View Post
                          That is definitely a Chevy Dana 44. The Chevy uses 4 u-bolts on each side where the Dodge unit has 2 u-bolts on the left and 1 u-bolt/2 studs on the right side.

Even the 2wd you're converting from should have had front disc brakes. The W-series received disc brakes beginning in '75. Perhaps your W200 is a 73/74?

Second, what's with the blocks under the springs?
                          Chevy outers yes. But the u bolts on the passenger side are the same size and all the Chevys I've seen use one long and wide u bolt and one smaller one.

The blocks were so my crossover steering arm would clear while I was figuring out how to make that work.

Comment

I am of the same thought that it is a Chevy axle. I thought the Dodge tie rod ends were on the top of the knuckle arm, the knuckle arm was higher than a Chevy and the stud vs u-bolt theory. I think the spring pad width is only 1/2" different. Some things may appear the same, and even be the same like Bendix brake parts. Chevy rotors are thicker than Dodge. Dodge has a storied history of assembling odd vehicles, like Ramchargers with Dana 60 5 lug rears, Chryslers with bucket seats only because the sister Plymouth car had them and a customer wanted buckets. The Dodge and Chevy axles have a lot in common.

Comment

Little confusing with two different topics going. To recap:
                              I may use the disc brake set-up from the available 76 Dodge 44 and mount them on my 76 Dodge 44 and retain my locking hubs?
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X