Dang Rust!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang Rust!!

When does a guy give up on a trusty (and rusty) good reliable old truck? I know there are all sorts of formulas, and some limits created by one's tolerance for exasperation. But I am caught by the good ability to weld, the conflict with time available, the aging (my body) process that makes sliding under the truck difficult, and the pain of rust particles (stones) falling into my eyes everytime I do go under the good old Dodge.

So to the specifics.... This is my 86 W250 with original sno-fighter package with the 360 727 205 setup with a Spicer 60 FA. It has been used most of its life as a farm truck by me and as a snow plow truck since it was new. It has 62,000 original miles (all of them "working miles"). I have owned it since '89.

As I was adjusting rear brakes last weekend, I looked around and saw the rust blisters on the frame, driveshaft, and everywhere to be the size of barnicles on an old boat. With screwdriver already in hand to adjust the rear brakes, I poked around a bit on the frame, and just below the front edge of the 8 ft box, the screwdriver went right through the side of the frame rail, and then I see a crack down through the bottom flange of the frame at that same spot. OMG, there is a snowstorm predicted and I need it to plow on Tuesday morning. Well the snow did come, and I plowed with the crack in the frame, and the frame metal so thin that welding it would be fruitless. On one of the plowing accounts, the ice was quite bad, and I had to plow on the steep uphill to get into the place, and the truck was jumping up and down. The snow was heavy and wet, not coming off the blade easily, so when I ran out of traction, I'd have to back out and take a run at the spoils left by the blade from the last attempt. Repeat about 6 times before getting into easier snow. The old Dodge was giving its "all" to get a real nasty job done. When I finally got to the top of this 1/4 mile "goat trail", I could then plow downhill after clearing a large enough area at the top to turn around.

I am suprised the frame rail did not split completely. It has earned another fix, I just can't give up on this hard working old gal. But it won't be an easy fix, as there is so little good metal to weld to.

Dang Rust!!

Paul in MN

hello guys and gals......
    that why Dodge says "engineered ram tough" and they mean business!!!!!!!!! this PROVES its !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tiffany and her 83'w150

Comment

I can feel for ya brother. I had a '92 Cougar that was my beater with a heater and drove the snot outta that 5 liter. It was so soft that I could feel the floor flex under my feet and if I parked in a twist, the door wouldn't open. I drove it for 3 years till the tranny puked. I liked that car and was driving on borrowed time for the frame. I was given an old flat fender for parts before my '47 PW was stolen, and it had most of the frame gone from rust.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

My '85 has some big flakes coming off but I banged on the frame with a ball peen and it is still solid.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Replace the frame?

I have a '91 D350 with the Cummins that seems to have solved the rust problem. It leaks a little oil, well, maybe a lot, that has coated most of the underside, especially the frame. No soft spots anywhere on it! I get filthy whenever I'm under it, though.
          I would think that you could find such a frame to replace yours. My '75 crew and the '91 share basically the same frame up front; with the exception of length, I'd say the frames are identical. I'd say looking for a replacement frame is worth a shot.

Comment

replace the frame

if I had a snow fiter or a snow commander I would replace the frame and keep her alive. SF and SC are great trucks. out here in the Northeast there are not many left. these trucks have a loyal following, small but fanatical following. not as fanatical as the Macho Power Wagon fans, but there are enthusiasts who restore them for big bucks.

Comment

You could sleeve the frame and use grade 8 bolts vs. welding. Even a section on the outside of the bad areas would buy you a reasonable amount of time till a frame could be found. Don't give up on her yet.

Comment

Should buff out...

Comment

Getting back to Greg and others

I have figured out a do-able patch method, and I think I will put in the effort to build and install it. The serious rust problem is in the left side frame rail, and the plastic gas tank hugs the inside of that rail. If I can get past the snowplowing, I think it would be easier to pull the box off and deal with the frame problem while standing up instead of being under it and having a constant rain of rust particles hitting my ears and eyes. I have trouble wearing safety glasses when I work under it because I perspire enough to constantly fog up the glasses. Cold glass with a bit of moisture = foggg! So warmer weather and an end to the snow season seems to be the game plan.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Paul in MN

Comment

I've knocked a couple of 'em in the head for that particular rust location.But for an around the farm plow truck I think I'd pull the bed and the tank and go at it.If the top and bottom frame flanges are good definately.Take a real good look at the areas around the spring hangers before you go to fixing make sure they are all right.If they aren't you might be further ahead to back half the whole truck.Plow truck frames take abuse from stresses and strains that normal trucks never see.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul in MN View Post
                      I have figured out a do-able patch method, and I think I will put in the effort to build and install it. The serious rust problem is in the left side frame rail, and the plastic gas tank hugs the inside of that rail. If I can get past the snowplowing, I think it would be easier to pull the box off and deal with the frame problem while standing up instead of being under it and having a constant rain of rust particles hitting my ears and eyes. I have trouble wearing safety glasses when I work under it because I perspire enough to constantly fog up the glasses. Cold glass with a bit of moisture = foggg! So warmer weather and an end to the snow season seems to be the game plan.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Paul in MN
                      Yes, that is a great idea.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                      X