Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it lifted ?

Hi,
    I'm trying to find out if my 90 W250 diesel is lifted or not. The front tires are wearing mid tread and I want to replace the shocks.
    The truck has about 300,000 miles on it.
    The current tire size is 285-75R16
    Any recommendations for shocks and tires would be appreciated.
    I don't normally go "off roading" but I live a few miles off the pavement
    Thanks
    Attached Files

I like the 255-85-16 size. I run Coopers on my 2001 Ram.

That's a great looking truck.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

thank you, I'm rather fond of the truck. You can see the tire tread wear in the picture of the truck. I'm thinking shocks but it may be time for new ball joints also

Comment

I would have to say no on a lift kit. The rear block is factory and may be a 5 or 6 inch to compensate for the heavier front springs. The fronts are pretty much flat (no arch) which is stock. My '85 has 6" factory blocks in the rear.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

My first Cummins was in a 90 W 250 like yours. I don't remember what size tires but if your center tread is wearing I'd look at tire pressure. To high and the center wears, to low and the outside wears. I'd just make sure what ever tire your buy they are load range E. That Cummins is heavy. Good looking truck that is a stock ride height from what I can see. Monroe shocks have a proven record then it's into Rancho's or some of the other specialty makers. Have the alignment checked after the new tires are installed. Look at the steering column slip joint just above the steering box also. They are prone to wear with that many miles on the truck. Mine had 240,000+ and was still going when I sold it.

Comment

Looks stock to me. Probably is sagging a tad from when new.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
              I don't think the tires wear is from over inflation. I believe an overinflated tire will wear in the middle , but fairly uniformly all around the tire.
              The front tires are wearing in patches. A 6 inch worn area then good tread for 20 inches followed by another worn area.
              How many miles are you getting from those cooper tires ?
              Thanks

Comment

the left front tire shows the tire wear problem

Comment

Without proper rotation mud tires will wear funny up front, making it look like there are waves on the tires. Could this be your problem?

Comment

I believe your front axle has kingpins instead of balljoints. Either way a trip to the alignment shop may be in order, along with tire rotation.

Front heavy 4x4's eat mud/off-road type tires up when driven on pavement. Frequent rotation spreads the "depreciation" out a bit, but then when the time comes you're stuck with replacing all of them at once.

Bucky

Comment

I have gotten about 55,000 miles on three sets, and they still had tread, probably could have easily gone another 5,000. Also, and this amazes me, I don't rotate them much. More specifically, in that 55,000 they would get moved from one end of the truck once, and that's it.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Looks stock to me too.

I put new Monroes on mine at around 120,000 and felt no difference...

Do you feel a wobble when you are braking? The king pins will wear over time and the coil spring relaxes.
                        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

For reference....
                          My '92 W250 with a Rough Country 4" lift
                          and 285/75/16 tires.....
                          John
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great looking truck!

Comment

Working...