Automatic transmission fluid questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission fluid questions

Got a non lock up A-518 transmission in my 1991 dodge power ram 150, I just recently had it fully re-built back in september and it has less then 3000 miles on it. The owner of the shop that re-built my ransmission told me to drain all the fluid out of it not just the fluid in the pan but all of it in 3 to 5 thousand miles and o put new fluid and a filter in it. Its time for me to do that and i have been trying to decide what fluid to run and i know alot of people are going to say +4 cause thats what chrysler reccomends, but i have been told by a few transmission guys i know that i dont need +4 nor do i want to run it because i have a non lock up converter. From what i have heard +4 has alot of friction modifyers in it to help with a smooth lock up engadgement and since i dont have lock up +4 would cause my transmission to shift real soft and run at a higher temature then need be due to the friction modifyers. The fluids i am currently looking at running are dexronIII or the new dexronVI or type f or the valvoline max life atf wich is a synthetic universal fluid according to the valvoline fluid tech i talked too. Out of all them atf's what would you guys run? I am leaning twords the new dexronVi or the valvoline max life the most because they are both synthetics and would help the transmission run cooler and last longer. All opinions are appriciated. Thank you.

ATF +4 is a full synthetic, one of the first developed. From the referenced link, the only difference between +3 and +4 is the additive package has been improved to support longer service intervals. Otherwise the fluid was designed to support the clutch materials more than just the lock-up converter.

It's true that newer Chrysler transmissions are more sensitive to the fluid type, but I would argue that the newer Dexron and "universal" synthetics would have all the same friction modifiers since they will be designed to work in transmissions as new and advanced as those spec'd with ATF +3/+4.

Your best bet is to run whatever would have been specified when the transmission was new, or one of the newer versions that are backwards compatible.

I had an 87 Dakota and I think it still wanted the ATF +2 or +3, but stated Dexron was acceptable. I know I changed the fluid using Dexron thinking similar to you and I started having transmisison problems later. Can't verify it was because of the Dexron but it probably didn't help.

Comment

Back in the 3-speed 727 days guys would use Type F in their cars (those who race), as this made the shifts more firm. The "trick shift" fluids were essentially repackaged type F.

But in your case, go with what was recommended when it was new.

Bucky

Comment

I would take it back to the tranny shop and have them do it. They will flush the system of all the used fluid and they can check it over while it's there. This would be the way I would go especially if there is any warranty involved. Just food for thought.

Comment

whatcha didnt like the 300 in depth answers to this same question you got on RamChargerCentral.Com

Comment

No not at all, i liked all the answers i got there. Just looking for more opinions on the subject since i still have not made a final decision on wich atf to run. Alot of people say +4 and with good reason its what dodge says to run, but alot of other people would argue that +4 is a ittle more advanced then need be for a non lock up A-518 that was made in 1991. You realize factory fill for the A-518 in 1991 was dexronII right? DexronIII wasnt even made untill 1993. If dexronII was good enough for the A-518 back in 1989 thru 1992 when it first came out why wouldnt the brand new synthetic DexronVI be good enough for it? And dexronVi does not have near thee amount of friction modifyers that +4 has. According to the sheets i looked at comparing the two fluids. And on that same sheet it showed dexronVi out performing +4 in almost every aspect.......

Comment

Working...
            X