fuel tank grommet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank grommet

Has anyone needed to replace the filler neck grommet on their fuel tank? I have a 76 Trailduster and need to change mine, but I can't seem to find one. I found them for 82-93 Ramchargers, but don't know if it is the same size. I found it on ebay; part# 5217578 will this one work? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

At the tank or at the body?

When I replaced my sending unit I just got some fuel resistant gasket material at NAPA and cut my own.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

It's the grommet for where the fillerneck goes into the tank. I haven't measured it, but I think the hole in the tank is about 2.5"-3" round and the fillerneck is a 1.5" diameter.

Comment

When I replaced that grommet on my '77 W300, this was a dealer part.

Comment

Originally posted by rxinhed View Post
          When I replaced that grommet on my '77 W300, this was a dealer part.
          Do you happen to know the part number?

Comment

No, this was in 1996. However, they had a box full.

Comment

I have two 77's and they do not use the type of grommet that you found on Ebay. They use a flat cork gasket between the filler neck and the tank. My experience with both trucks was that I thought I had a bad gasket at that location. Turned out the gasket was fine, the plastic gas tank was cracked along a mold seam on the top side. Fixed it with plastic gas tank epoxy repair and then fiberglass over top of that. Check your tank carefully to be sure it is not cracked. From talking with other people I get the idea this is a common problem with these trucks.

Comment

I have a 76 Trailduster (same as a Ramcharger) and it has a metal tank; not plastic. I had to remove the fuel tank to change the fuel line and found that the grommet where the fillerneck is inserted into the tank was dry rotted. I put silicone around it just to get it back on the road, but would like to get the proper grommet for it. The sending unit gasket is in good shape and does not leak, nor does the tank. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to find the grommet for it, wish I had taken some measurements and pics of it when the tank was down. Guess I'll have to drop the tank again and do that. maybe I can match something up by size. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X