Looking at a 78 W300, any advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a 78 W300, any advice

Hi guys. I'm going to look at a 78 W300 Dump truck tomorrow. It's a yard truck that I am looking to use for firewood hauling and plowing around my property. It has a rebuilt 360 in it with manual tranny. He says it runs great, but that the clutch fork is stuck. He says it is no big deal to free it up. Besides that, is there any typical areas I need to look out for?

I have a couple of old school power wagons, but I am not too familiar with the W series...
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Tim

Radiator core support and alt gauge

Poor design catches and holds water. Dont be surprised if its rusted out. Be surprised if its in good shape. Melted alt gauges are common that's not a deal breaker. There is a fix for that.

Comment

Thanks. Someone had mentioned that they are notorious for rusting out where the spring perches are riveted to the frame. is that true? Is the clutch fork being frozen common?

Comment

Study up on wiring, brakes, then look for rust.

Drivetrain will be indestructable, once all the u-joints are replaced. These trucks have seldom been pampered.

Bucky

Comment

I've also heard mixed opinions on the 318 vs the 360. Should I be happy this is the 360?

Comment

Both good motors

360 with a 4speed is very forgiving for a novice manual trans driver. Lots of power capable of compensating for premature shifts. However my 77 m880 with a 318 thrives on neglect. Always starts no matter how long it's been sitting. I used to be a bigger is better snob but that 318 is quickly becoming my favorite.

Comment

Floor pans

Dont let crumbling floor pans discourage you. Crumbling cab mounts are a different story

Comment

Originally posted by Rust Buster View Post
                I've also heard mixed opinions on the 318 vs the 360. Should I be happy this is the 360?
                74W300utiline is correct about both engines. At some point the 360 become the sole engine offered in 1 ton trucks until 89 when the Cummins was introduced. Even then the 360 remained the only gas engine offered.

Only downfall I can think of with 360's is the external balance factor, meaning the flywheel or torque convertor should remain with the engine when doing a swap.

Did the seller say if the clutch fork got stuck frequently?

Bucky

Comment

He said the engine was replaced with a rebuilt 360 about 5000 miles ago. At that time they put a new clutch in it. Since then, I guess he bought a new truck and this one has just sat. He thinks it is just frozen from lack of use and was planning on pulling the oil pan to get in there to free up the fork. Not being familiar with this truck or engine, I was wondering why you'd have to pull the oil pan to access that. Is there not a flywheel cover that goes on the bottom of the bellhousing like a chevy 350?

Comment

Originally posted by Rust Buster View Post
                    He said the engine was replaced with a rebuilt 360 about 5000 miles ago. At that time they put a new clutch in it. Since then, I guess he bought a new truck and this one has just sat. He thinks it is just frozen from lack of use and was planning on pulling the oil pan to get in there to free up the fork. Not being familiar with this truck or engine, I was wondering why you'd have to pull the oil pan to access that. Is there not a flywheel cover that goes on the bottom of the bellhousing like a chevy 350?
                    Yes, no need to pull oil pan. I also have a 78 with 4-speed, and my cover is missing. So I have access to the fork, and in fact can remove it right out the side of the bellhousing. Reinstalling would be a headache though.

Bucky

Comment

Is there enough access to get in there with a long screwdriver or small prybar to try to free it, or is it very hard to get to? Maybe I could at least spray some lube up there to soak it free?

Comment

I'm wondering if it's the clutch fork or the throw out bearing hanging up? Might need to adjust the clutch linkage??? My first truck was a 78 W 250 Club Cab with a 360 and automatic. I loved the full time four wheel, others didn't. The 360 will pull about anything you want to pull all day long. I put 140,000 on mine before I traded for a new 86. That 360 went 140,000+ with only replacing the water pump. The other guys all have valid points on these trucks.

Comment

So I am looking at the 78 and may well look at another one I found for the same price. This one is an 84, same engine, tranny, and pretty much everything else as the 78. The guy says it just passed inspection and is on the road, everything works. All things being equal, any reason to go with one over the other? Did much change from 78 to 84?

Comment

78 will have New Process 203 full-time transfer case (chain-driven). 84 will most likely be New Process 205 part-time transfer case (gear-driven), if its a W300.

84 had more clutter under the hood/dash (smog crap, wiring, vacuum hoses, etc).

Bucky

Comment

BTW, here are the pics. I know the 78 looks much rougher, but there's something about it that appeals to me!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X