Replacing valve cover gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing valve cover gaskets

1980 360 Ramcharger spark plug wells have oil in them. Time for new valve cover gaskets? Any advice. Remember, I,m a rookie never done this before. Keep in mind that what you consider common knowledge may not be to me. Tips, tricks, what not to do, beware of, product recommendations. All welcome.

Reading chiltons& Haynes

Seems fairly straightforward. Should I be looking for anything unusual while I have the covers off?

Comment

Nothing really hard about this job. Do NOT accept cork gaskets use only rubber gaskets. The cork gaskets split when you tighten the bolts. Look for any sludge on top of the heads and under the valve covers. This will indicate what the rest of the engine might look like. On the valve covers where the bolts are see that the tin isn't deformed below the rest of the edge. Tap it back with a hammer . Don't over tighten the bolts or you'll be replacing them again SOON. Snug is good enough.

Comment

Have lotsa rags on hand. I'd clean the valve covers with kerosene while they're off. Original gaskets will probably crumble to pieces upon removal, be sure to get all these pieces out a rocker area before reassembly.

Bucky

Comment

Ditto on the rubber gaskets. This is about as simple a gasket replacement as you can get. Use the above advice and common sense and you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
          X