transfer case debacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer case debacle

hello I am new to the sight looking for help of any kind. I am working on a 1975 club cab w200 4wd 440 auto with 203 transfer case. Transfer case is for full time 4wd the way I understand it, I was wondering if I can put a front end in that has lockout hubs or not. If not can I replace the 203 case with a 205 and marry it with the auto trans? I am trying to bring this old girl back to life(restore with some modifications) so I can give to my son for a graduation present in 2 years.

If you switch to an axle with selectable locking hubs you won't gain anything. In Hi or Lo the truck will not drive, the disconnected front drivetrain will spin only. You have to be in Hi-Loc or Lo-low for the vehicle to move itself, or keep the axle locked, which is essentially the way it is now with the fulltime axle.

I dont know if 205's & 203's swap on same tranny. I do know married 205's were available 80-88 or so in heavy W250's & W350, but these are mated to small block tranny's. Big blocks only came with trannys married to the 203 (75-78) or divorced 205's (pre-75).

An option is to find a smallblock tranny married to the 205, then take it to a transmission shop & have all the innards & the t-case fitted to your big block case.

This ( the pros-cons & whatnots) all has been discussed in older threads here on this site somewhere before.

Bucky

Comment

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...203-to-np-205/

Another person with similiar thoughts.

Bucky

Comment

that was extremely helpful thanks for the input and the link I think I will just stay with the 203.

Comment

Hey I am also looking for the rear seats all the hardware and plastic for the club cab as well mine was completely missing when I bought the truck any thoughts on where i could find this stuff. My drivers split bench is at the reupholster shop now along with the armrest.

Comment

Np203

Not all NP203s are full time , my Chevy has a position that allows rear wheel drive only and the front drive shaft does not spin , You can convert the front to locking hubs , I have done it but not on a dodge .

Comment

Working...
            X