Charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging problems

I have not been on here in a while, but would really appreciate some advice. My 1974 W-200 Crew Cab has come a long way (it was just featured in the August issue of Mopar Muscle Magazine), However I am still working on it because they are never really done.
    My battery is not charging. I have replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, and made sure I have a good ground at the battery, voltage regulator, ground strap, and also put a ground wire from the negative battery cable to the body. Any ideas?

Have you checked the amp gauge/connections? Probably not passing the current through it? Doug

Comment

this is how simple the charging system in your truck is / basically you gotta have key power on the blue wire while engine running / and NO shorts or breaks on the green wire / if you ground the green wire the Alt should go FULL field if it works / so it boils down to either wiring or bad Alt or Reg

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
        Have you checked the amp gauge/connections? Probably not passing the current through it? Doug
        that would be NO power to the blue wire if what he says is true

Comment

it dont show it in my simple diagram but the AMP gauge would be on the short RED wire between the battery and the ignition switch / also these years[1974 to 80 ] are known to burn the bulkhead connectors out and lose power

Comment

Double check the alternator and regulator. I have seen bad ones come out of the box and fail while still in the parts store. Try running a new dedicated wire from the alternator straight to the battery and see if that fixes it. If it does then you know where the problem lies.

Comment

Thank You All

Even though I have only met a few of you over the years I just wanted to say Thank You to all of you, You are true friends to respond so quickly to ones problems.
              I had already done the bypass on the amp gauge last year (thanks to PWA) so I looked it all over again and thought I found it when I noticed the fusable link at the starter solenoid was all corroded. I replaced that and still had only 11.5 volts. I then went and bought another new voltage regulator and now have 13.8 volts at the battery at idle. I guess just because NAPA says its new doesnt mean it works. the new one today came from Auto Zone. ($17.00)

Comment

Working...
              X