Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift seal

hi everyone in dodge land
    how hard is it to change the shift seal on my 73 power wagon? also a transmission mechanic tells me there are two seals needed to be changed for the shift seal job but the parts person says he could only find a part number for one seal under the shift linkage on the tranny. thanks for your help.
    alan

This is an automatic? The seal on the shift lever shaft?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

shift seal

yes it is a 360 automatic and the seal is located just underneath the shift linkage underneath the vehicle on the transmission.

Comment

I think if you remove the pan you will see what holds that in, which will require draining the transmission, of course. Someone who is an automatic transmission person may have more to say.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

IT can be done without dropping the pan but it is a "B" without the correct tool. I would advise buying an extra seal..if you try. Other wise drop the pan and remove the valve body to gain access to the seal. A large C clamp and some sockets helps press the seal into place. I like to used Permatex with the brush, light coat on the trans / seal surface..
          Don't forget to lube the seal surface- light coat of silicon grease works or just some trans fluid. It's a bit pricy The later 518 trans uses a black reinforced gasket that will not leak...
          There is also a small seal in the shifter levers too, under the washer/ C clip
          TGP
          WDX & Misc. Pics.
          http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
          "47" Dodge WDX WW
          "52" Dodge M-37 WW
          "54" Willys M38A1
          "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
          "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
          "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
          "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
          "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
          "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

the whole job can be done in under an hour and less than $20 dollars spent / read link below

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...kd-tools-2392/

Comment

Working...
            X