Radiator Questions - 1987 Ramcharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Questions - 1987 Ramcharger

Howdy all, I have purchased another Dodge fullsize, this time a nice 87 Ramcharger LE. Recently I observed water consumption between checks and then spotting when I finally parked on a paved surface. This particular 115 degree day, truck decided to sprout leaks from both radiator hoses and the radiator, looked like a soaker hose.

I have removed the radiator for service and rod out, but I'm not sure if the 2-core is my preferred cooling method. When I was working in the auto parts store and had my 77 W300, I ordered a 4-core oversized radiator. I have no similar connections now.

Is there another similar truck model that might provide a radiator with some additional cooling area for my planned towing in the desert excursions? Perhaps one from a diesel?

Ryan the Ramcharger:

Thanks,
    Russell

See what you can learn from a Hollander manual at a salvage yard, and even from the folks there. If the radiator support is the same as truck, that is a huge answer.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Russell,

Nice Ramcharger. Id like to pickup one again some day. I believe the diesels were all the same metal be, so it might fit, but I suspect the hose connections will be in different locations.

I do see a 3 core radiator available for HD/Max-AC Cooling: VISTA-PRO Part # 433190.

Will
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Can your radiator shop help? They may have the connections or even recore to a 4 core. If your temp is staying under control then a new 2 core may be plenty. Remember that when cooling an engine that the coolant needs to be able to do it's job. That means stay in the block long enough to pick up heat and stay in the radiator enough to release that heat. That is the number one reason to never run without a thermostat. I would try a standard replacement and then add some coolant additive. These reduce the surface tension of the water mix. This allows it to come in better contact with the surfaces instead of "rolling" across them. Think about water beading up on a waxed surface,,the additive does just the opposite and stops the "beading" effect in your cooling system. An add on electric cooling fan may be the boost you need on the really hot days,,like here,, 90's all week and hitting a projected 100 today.

Comment

1972 TO 1993 truck or RC on the interchange / most years VAN,s fit if you redrill the holes / the side brackets are different on the van,s

Comment

I've located a good 3-core radiator in a local yard. Next week, it will be delivered to the radiator shop for service. My 2-core unit had numerous stress cracks and was deemed unserviceable.

Thanks for the suggestion about the van radiator, but I'm attempting to not modify things so much on the Ramcharger.

Comment

All the replacement parts are in, water/anti-freeze topped up and no apparent leaks after a warm up sequence. Will road test on way to work tomorrow. Yeah!! Moved under power today and will check trans fluid after my 11 mile commute.

Comment

Hey, that's great. looking forward to more details and pictures.
                I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
                X