Full time or part time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full time or part time??

am wondering if I can use a front axle assembly out of a 73 3/4 ton power wagon with lock out hubs in place of my existing axle that is in a 75 3/4 ton power wagon that is a full time axle assembly. I know they make conversion kits but I already have this axle in a parts truck, and I am not sure what all the conversion kit includes from full time 4x4 to part time 4x4.

You can get a part-time conversion just for the transfer case. Why not yank the case out of the donor? Are the gear ratios the same in your current rear and the donor front?

Comment

gear ratios are 4.10 in both trucks the donor truck has a NP205 divorce transfer The 1975 club cab is a NP203 full time. no mounting holes in frame for NP205 or I would install it.

Comment

I bought the older truck for parts mainly a rebuilt 1972 440 that I am putting in mine. But I am also transferring a 8" lift kit as well. The reason I was thinking of using the front axle from the 73 is there is a spacer that is between the steering arm and the steering knuckle and I can't seem to get it to come off, not sure why. The spacer is part of the 8" lift system and I have to have it. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by 1975powerwagon View Post
          gear ratios are 4.10 in both trucks the donor truck has a NP205 divorce transfer The 1975 club cab is a NP203 full time. no mounting holes in frame for NP205 or I would install it.
          I have done this. You need to drill the holes plus you'll need to spread the frame rails a bit hydraulically to get the crossmember inside of them.

Bucky

Comment

Any ideas on how to get the steering arm removed? The donor truck had a 8' lift which included a spacer between the steering arm and the steering knuckle and I cant budge it. It has only been on there for about 2 years because the donor truck was rebuilt about then but it was the unfortunate soul of a T bone at a red light that is why it is a donor truck now.

Comment

a DIVORCED t-case frontend will not work in a MARRIED t-case truck / the pinion angle is way off / been there done that and it dont work

Comment

I have done this swap. If you use your original '75 front diff housing and attach all the '73 hubs, drums, and axles to it. It will work, as you will not change the pinion angle, which is severe due to the fact of the divorced case being so far back, versus how close the NP203 is.

Comment

Working...
                X