Charging system 80 ramcharger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging system 80 ramcharger.

Burned up my alternator,voltage regulator and some wiring while boulder hoppin at the VT Power Wagon rally. The slack on the hot lead from my battery found its way down onto the power steering pulley. Pulley sawed 3/4 of the way through the 0guage cable before the truck died.

Multiple jumpstarts and downhill momentum got me off the mountain trails and back to the rally site. No power steering and no power brakes makes for an white knuckle downhill adventure. Once back at the rally site we recharged the dead battery and some helpful fellow Dodgers diagnosed the problem, alternator cooked, voltage regulator fried and various wires with melted and or no insulation . One wire got so hot there was no insulation left on it, one wire melted the harness wrapping all the way back to the bulkhead connector. Fortunately I have a replacement harness on its way from a buddy who is parting out a same year same model ramcharger.

Now heres where I need advice, the alternator and voltage regulator what brands are best. What brands are krap? Should i go with the highest amp output alternator? Should i go with a mopar voltage regulator. I have no problem paying a premium price for quality dependable components. Any recommendations appreciated. What else should i be expecting to find damaged from a cut and shorted hot battery lead.

I would think your local auto parts store should have available rebuilt alternators from the same manufacturer as the original equipment unit.

I think you should be fine with a voltage regulator from the parts store, also, as an alternative to a Chrysler branded part.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The alternator capacity depends largely on the workload expected. Does the vehicle have aftermarket accessories that draw increased electricity over a stone stock vehicle? Such items are running lights, stereo/amp, electric winch, electric cooling fan,etc.

Bucky

Comment

No bells and whistles. Yet

But i would like to add some lights and stereo upgrades in the future. The truck has already been modified away from stock by the previous owner. Usually I keep my vehicles stock but this one has already been lifted, 77 grill, birdbath hood ,wrong year rollbar, and soon to have 74 half doors.

Comment

Then go with a higher current capacity alternator.

You live in a large, urban area. I would think there should be a starter/alternator shop that could advise you on selection and sell you a unit.

Comment

Parts ordered

Went with ac delco 100 amp alt and ac delco volt regulator compatible with 100 amp alt. ordered through rockauto. The 0 guage cable that got sawed ,went from the battery across motor to the alt. the helpfull dodgers siad it was a welding cable and was overkill. What type Of cable should i use to replace the damaged cable.

Comment

Look here:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Be conservative, size it for over 100 amps by at least 25-30%.

[scroll down to the chart]

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                Went with ac delco 100 amp alt and ac delco volt regulator compatible with 100 amp alt. ordered through rockauto. The 0 guage cable that got sawed ,went from the battery across motor to the alt. the helpfull dodgers siad it was a welding cable and was overkill. What type Of cable should i use to replace the damaged cable.
                I was going to recommend a Hi-output GM alternator internally regulated and a 2 gauge power wire to the battery (I think that is what I used).

I chased an electrical problem in my Ramcharger for 2 summers replacing 100 amp Mopar style alternators (which when tested at a local auto electric shop only produced 80 amps - 2 alternators from March Performance and another from a local rebuilt one all claiming to be 100 amp) and wiring and could never resolve the problem.
                Because the charging system worked fine most of the time I thought it had to be wiring. but it turned out the alternator was just overworked (electronic ignition, cooling fans and headlights) and would just not charge the system until it could cool down.
                I installed an aftermarket GM style 240 amp alternator recommended by some car audio installers and all my headaches went away.

Comment

I've not had good luck with generic voltage regulators. I only run the MOPAR ones now.

(and still carry a spare...)
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                  X