Paging Mr Paul Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Mr Paul Cook

Paul i noticed in another post that you have experience with the m884's. Not wanting to hijack the other fellows thread I started this one. I have a M884 with the 24 volt generator and dont know what to do with it. What cool things can i do with this device? Im planning on selling the m884 soon , should i remove the generator and keep it on the side for my m37 friends . Is it valuable for any practical uses. Folks who are interested in the truck dont know what its for and do not want it. Please educate me about this device. Every thing is there in the engine compartment, heavy cables, dual battery tray on passenger side. Big buss bar looking things.No belt to motor pulley.
    Last edited by 74w300uteline; 08-16-2012, 08:45 PM. Reason: Grammer

M884

First of all, the M880 multi-voltage trucks were always a challenge - even when they were new. Many times, maintaining them had to be done by a higher maintenance echelon than the local motor pool.

Multi-voltage trucks had unique missions which meant that - in addition to the vehicle driver - there were other personnel that used the 24 volt equipment to perform the mission. That would be like expecting a fighter pilot to be able to operate the aircraft carrier.

The Army believed in "cross training" so everyone could do the other's job. In actual practice, the guy who could operate the electronic gear was not always a competent driver, and vice versa.

Take this truck out of the Army and away from trained operators and away from the motor pool with trained mechanics who had the correct test equipment. Soon everyone who tries to work on it earns the nick name, "SPARKY".

Unless you are going to restore a multi-voltage truck to original with all the unique mission specific equipment including the correct test equipment, you are better off to remove all the 24 volt items and return the truck to its civilian condition.

I do not have any parts lists for the M880 series multi-voltage trucks. I don't know if any of those parts can be used. I modified one of my M37's by converting the whole truck to 12 volt with a one-wire alternator. I modified another by replacing the 100 amp kit and all its components with a 24 volt one wire alternator.

Personally, if I needed a 1970's pickup truck, I would be as likely to buy one from the civilian market. I have a friend who converted three M880 series trucks back so he could sell them. He won't do that again.

Comment

Working...
    X