1978 dodge power wagon 4x4 400 big block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 dodge power wagon 4x4 400 big block

why are these trucks, all time 4x4. and if i would run bigger tires would my fuel mpg get worse or better. this truck has 4 10 gears with 245/70/16 and i only get about 7 mpg now. any ideas woulh help. and with 410 are 33 inch tires as big as i can go. thanks.

Prior to 1975, 4x4 usually meant getting out of the cab, into the mud/snow, & locking some front hubs. Full-time 4x4 was to keep the driver from ever having leave the cab, plus it was to prevent you from getting into such situations in the first place.

Taller tires may help highway mileage, but it would take long time to recoup cost of the tires.

400's had low compression & were dogs from day one.

Bucky

Comment

beside the tires that ARE suppose to be on it are 33 inches tall 235/85/16

Comment

Actually, Chrysler introduced the full time 4x4 in mid model year 74. I bought a 741/2 Plymouth Trailduster with the "NEW", full time 4x4. I am not sure if they offered it in any 4x4 pickup trucks though, until 75 model year. But, it was offered in the newly introduced 74 1/2 Trailduster and Ramcharger. It was quite a big deal at that time, for Chrysler to offer a 4x4 with that system.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
          Actually, Chrysler introduced the full time 4x4 in mid model year 74. I bought a 741/2 Plymouth Trailduster with the "NEW", full time 4x4. I am not sure if they offered it in any 4x4 pickup trucks though, until 75 model year. But, it was offered in the newly introduced 74 1/2 Trailduster and Ramcharger. It was quite a big deal at that time, for Chrysler to offer a 4x4 with that system.
          Jeff
          Yep, but trucks didn't get it til 75. GM offered it starting in 75 too, but also had the NP205 available. And Ford also got into the NP203 game, I think their version was divorced ( I'm not positive).

Bucky

Comment

Working...
          X