76 W100 electric problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 W100 electric problem

Tonight when driving my wipers, blower motor and radio would shut off for 30 seconds or so and then come back on, this happened several times tonight. What is going on? Where should start looking for this problem? Ground on the wiper motor?

A couple of areas to look.
    Bulkhead connectors through the firewall, make sure they are tight & making good contact.
    Fuse box in glove compartment. On my 75 I have to remove fuses occasionally & scuff up the metal contact areas.
    70's Dodge are notorious for wiring/electrical gremlins.
    And rust.
    Bucky

Comment

Sounds like someone may have installed a self-resetting circuit breaker in your fuse panel? The blower motor switches were notorious for melting the moulded connector that plugged on to the switch and could be shorting out. My Dad's trucks used to kill them on a regular basis, because he seldom would use any speed but high, especially in the summer! The root problem is that the blower motor need a relay to handle the amp draw while it's on high. Doug

Comment

Also check the wires on the back of the amp gauge. They are known to loosen and go bad.

Comment

Found my problem, just a loose conection under the dash, Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Well I thought I found my problem, the didnt work today, can it be the ignition switch?

Comment

Fusible links

Take a look at fusible links and while you're poking around in the engine compartment clean all your ground points.

Comment

Working...
              X