Diesel Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Engine

I have a '92 Dodge diesel with 271000 +miles on it. It is a 3/4 ton 4x4. For years, it was primary transportation and plow truck. It is now starting to smoke, especially when cold. There aren't many rebuild shops in Alaska and am wondering if anyone can put me on to a shop or individual who knows what they are doing. I'm looking to 0-time the engine or buying another rebuilt unit using mine as a core

I would think there would be reputable, capable diesel shops in the larger cities. Is that not the case?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

271,000 miles on a diesel is not alot of miles, make sure its not your turbo or your injector pump first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        I would think there would be reputable, capable diesel shops in the larger cities. Is that not the case?
        Makes sense. With the sheer numbers of diesel trucks and equipment in AK, I would think there has to be at least a few repair facilities?

Comment

rebuild

Thanks guys. I will look into the injector pump. The reason I'm on here is because I've heard so many horror stories from other guys with diesels. THe original tranny on mine quit so I had a 4500 installed only to find out they put 90 weight gear oil in it! This was one of the major tranny shops in Fairbanks too. A local shop told me they can't get perts for the 12 valve and want to sell me a 24 valve. I'm 65 years old and have learned that having a sign outside your door around here doesn't mean you know what you"re doing. I also get leary when I believe the person I'm talking to has an I Q somewhere around their shoe size. I'm sure many of you have run into that too.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak2 View Post
            Thanks guys. I will look into the injector pump. The reason I'm on here is because I've heard so many horror stories from other guys with diesels. THe original tranny on mine quit so I had a 4500 installed only to find out they put 90 weight gear oil in it! This was one of the major tranny shops in Fairbanks too. A local shop told me they can't get perts for the 12 valve and want to sell me a 24 valve. I'm 65 years old and have learned that having a sign outside your door around here doesn't mean you know what you"re doing. I also get leary when I believe the person I'm talking to has an I Q somewhere around their shoe size. I'm sure many of you have run into that too.
            Cant get parts for the 12 valve?! I would find another shop, there are plenty of parts out there for the 12 valve, he just want you to buy the 24 valve he has. The Cummins 12 valve is a great motor.

Comment

271,000 miles and smoking especially when cold. I'd look at the injection pump timing first.

Comment

When was the last time you had your injectors cleaned & tested? What color is the smoke? Did it come on all the sudden or gradually? What does it smell like?

You can also send off an oil sample to see what might be going on. Difficult with out a baseline but could show contaminants etc.
                1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                X