Gordon, tell us about your W300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon, tell us about your W300

Hey Gordon, I read with great interest your "sitting on the tailgate" article for June 2013. I use the same tactics with vehicles I choose to drive when bargaining for a potential purchase. I definitely don't drive my 2010 Challenger!!

I loved your description of the w300 you drove to go see the Power Wagon. I know that 1978 was last model year the 440 was offered, but I am picturing a 1972-93 series Dodge, so lets see how close I can get based on your story.

I don't know what Iowa winters are like, but if they are anything like here in upstate NY, a 1972-80 series would be almost non-existent due to the nature of which these trucks rusted when exposed to road salt. I haven't seen one of these trucks on the road for at least 15 years or so. For the 1981-93 models, the sheetmetal was better galvanized because of the and protected from the factory, so they tended to stay on the roads longer when exposed to our relentless winters. I still see these trucks around on the roads in various condition.

Based on your overdrive statement, I would say you swapped the powertrain in. The picture in my mind was of a 1981-85 W300 because of the 72-80 rust problems, and after 1986 power train swaps were harder because of the wiring/computer issues. Also replacement body panels for 81-93 trucks are a little easier to get. Aftermarket complete bedsides are now available for these trucks.

Well, how close am I? I certainly had a lot of fun imagining this truck even if I am way off!! Thanks for a great article!

My truck is built from three trucks. Two W300's and one D300. The D300 was a 1961, and the W300's were 1967 and 1968. The D300 had a slant six, as did the 1968 W300. The 1967 W300 was a 318.

This truck is titled as a 1967, and I used the 1961 cab; it was the best, and the four headlight front is my favorite. Although I have two of the 9 foot, step side boxes, it is presently fitted with a steel flatbed that was built by a former owner that operated in asphalt paving business. In its present form the truck weighs about 8,000 pounds.

You are correct that the 440 is not original. I put it into the W 300 using the single front mount set up that was common on the earlier trucks. This truck uses the hydraulic clutch setup with the fork on the right. The nice thing about the W300 is that the cab and frame configuration is the same as the larger trucks. So you can use the radiator and mounts, you can use crossmember, engine mounts, etc. The front mount requires the associated vibration dampener. You can use the big truck radiator, it has a thicker core. I had to drill some holes in a different location to get the radiator height right.

My truck has a New Process 540 transmission that has overdrive in fifth gear. I bought it from a small salvage yard in northern Iowa in 1989. The transmission came out of a Studebaker truck. The 540's were used by Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Studebaker, and International Harvester.

To make it fit the Dodge he changed the input shaft, front bearing retainer, and rear output flange (yoke). I had to have a local driveline shop change the length of the drive shaft. Otherwise, the transmission fit right in, the floor plan worked, and the bell housing accepted it just fine. As I recall, I did heat the shift lever with a torch and bend it just a little to keep it off of the dashboard.

The truck has 4.88 gears in the differentials and it has 900x16 tires. It will go 70 mph easily in fifth gear. I love the early Power Wagons, but this is a truck you can really use. It's got a big cab, it's capable of heavy loads, it's got a lot of ground clearance, and it is as unstoppable a truck as I have ever owned.

A Chrysler engineer who spoke at the rally once said those were about the best trucks they ever built. I believe he must've meant with regard to the drivetrain. I say that because the sheet metal, more specifically, the way they designed it, is complete crap. There are so many places on that cab the rust so badly, it's terrible.

It's a real truck. It rides like a truck, and steers like a truck, and they didn't bother to use any sound deadening material in the cab. It makes a nice metal clang when you shut the doors.

I am experimenting with something called Dragon Dictate for Mac 3, it is voice to text software. I speak into a microphone and it types out the words. Sometimes it makes some humorous errors. I have attempted to edit them out, but I might have missed some. If so, don't think I've been drinking here.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Gordon. I have a much better picture in my mind now. Can't be the roads in the winter are as corrosive as they are here! The last 1960's Dodge I saw on the roads here was over 20 years ago! They don't call us the Rust Belt for Nothing. I love your choice of powertrain. Overall an interesting truck to say the least!

Comment

I've enjoyed the last two PWA as much or more than any I think.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
          I've enjoyed the last two PWA as much or more than any I think.
          Wonderful, thank you! What about these issues did you like?

Always trying to learn what readers like....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            Wonderful, thank you! What about these issues did you like?

Always trying to learn what readers like....
            I for one think the "Sitting on the Tailgate" Forum on any given month is worth the subscription cost for the whole year. Anything from stories of life in general like this past month, or your personal teaching experiences, to working at the dealerships when you were just out of college. Of course, ALL ARTICLES in the mag are great, but I always start with "Sitting on the Tailgate". In my opinion, if you don't 'get' that forum, you won't 'get' the rest of the mag, or the whole Power Wagon thing in general. Excellent writing!

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that very much!

Comment

I agree. I really enjoy everybodies how to articles and their adventures getting or with their trucks but the Sitting on the Tailgates I really enjoy. Similar to Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon Days, only he's talking and I'm listening...
                1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                X