Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I tell if it's a goverment issue truck (1975 Power Wagon W100

HI
    I think my truck is a Forest service truck. Is there a way to verify this with the VIN? or any other way to verify a government truck?

Well for one there's usually a bunch of holes drilled into the dash & body. Seriously, welcome to the board.

Most from the military had added data plates, maybe you can see the rivet holes where they were? I don't think the VIN will tell you anything but I'm not positive.

After the military they got loaned out to various government agencies. Although some were able to buy new.

What color(s) is it? Originally & now?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

The truck is original dark forest green color with great patina. said to have come from yosimite National Forest Ca. Don't see any holes but looks like a government issue fire extinguisher in it and has low miles. I thought the forest service trucks were a lighter green color, not dark forest green like the older ones.

Comment

I was also told that W10 meant Government and W100 meant civilian, mine says W10. I know some PW guy is out there and knows

Comment

Could be a government truck, but non military.
          Possibly a state fleet vehicle when new, or other municipality.
          Military would have the data plates (or holes) that KBR64 mentioned. Other Federal vehicles also may have such plates, but railroad, highway dept. etc might not.
          Both my W500 & W600 began life as government vehicles. Neither have any of the added data plates (nor holes).
          Never heard of W10.

Welcome to the show here!!

Bucky

Comment

Where does it say W10? I've not heard of that either.
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

There is a data plate on the door with the VIN, model, etc.. and instead of W100 it says W10. Was told from a Ventura Sheriff in Ca that is what the government has on there vehicles also.
              With the original green paint, government issues fire ext, very old faded Forest service sticker on bumper, the W10, and there is a like unit number welded on inside fender under the hood, and it was claimed by the last owner that he bought it from them (Yosemite National), I'm pretty sure it is a park truck. I will try to post a few pictures in a day or two. Thanks for all your help!
              Bob

Comment

Power steering?

Neither of my x military trucks had power steering. Look for four rivet holes to the right of the ashtray. That's where a 4x4 inch data plate would have been.
                The w10,20,30 was older designations for 1/2,3/4, 1 ton. The marketing dept needed to boost sales and Chrysler went to 100,200,300. Look at trucks now 1500,2500 &3500. Who knows perhaps our grand kids will be driving a w 25,000
                Look under the dash for abandoned two way radio wires and connectors, gov fleet trucks typically had radios. It's not a sure indicator because my 74 w 300 had radio codes from Hartford power and light above the sunvisor

Comment

Government truck

Is this the '75 W100 stepside that was on ebay last week in California? If so, the paint is a factory dark green metallic that has an even fade to it. It would be odd for the Government to purchase the Adventurer trim package, but not totally unheard of through GSA. The 360 is an extra cost option as well. As mentioned earlier, look for four small rivet holes to the right of the ash tray.

Comment

Working...
                  X