Help with timing marks on 79 powerwagon 5.9l 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with timing marks on 79 powerwagon 5.9l 360

I cant seem to locate the timing marks? Anyone got any info on where to locate them exactly and how to get a timing light on them? I pulled off all the belts last night and still couldnt find them.

If I remember correctly there should be a line on the harmonic balancer with gradations above and below that line which is Top Dead Center. Get out the degreaser and hose off the balancer then rub some soap stone on the markings.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the reply. Ill check that out

Comment

Ok i see those marks. *how does one see the timing pointer with the a/c compressor and air pump brackets in the way?

Comment

My suggestion is to time the engine using a vacuum gauge. Google will produce lost of information on how it is done. Vacuum gauge can be connected into the manifold where the brake booster line is connected. Simple and easy procedure that works GREAT!

Comment

Just wondering if you got the timing issue resolved. Always nice to have a follow up.

BTW - above reply should say Google has lots of info., not lost info.

Comment

Hey! Sorry for the lack of follow up. Been pretty busy with the truck, workin on it when I can find time. I decided to replace the intake with a new edelbrock performer, and edelbrock 1406 carb, 4barrel. Was able to get at the timing mark ok after removing the smog pump. I got the carb dialed in ok but something still wasnt quite right so I drove it to a local shop for them to check it. Thats where im at with it now, headed out of town for the weekend and will get truck when I get back on monday. Hopefully she will be all dialed in and running good. Thanks for the help with the timing info, will let ya know how its running next week!

Comment

Working...
              X