Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Power Wagon Guy Testing The Waters

My name is Fred,

I have been driving and working on Dodge Power Wagons since I was twelve.

My uncle owned a farm and we had several PW all flat fender, ranging years from 1941 up to 1965. The newest one I ever owned was a 1971, came from a GSA auction in the 80's, it was a W300 9' bed and was bought from an Air Force base in NJ. I consider my 1971 W300 the one that got away, I should have parked it in the barn and forgot about it.
    Marriage and kids were the demise of my trucks, but now retired and all the kids gone I find myself looking for a truck. But it is out of my comfort zone, from the 70's but not my 1971 W300.

I knew the early trucks well, but tomorrow I am going to look at a 1977 W300.

It has under 50 thousand original miles and has a 400 BB with a 4 speed stick. I am very unfamiliar with the full time 4x4, the transfer case and no free wheeling hubs. It is listed on Craigs List under 1977 Dodge W300 Power Wagon 4x4 $3200 (Fluvanna) Va.

I am like a fish out of water looking at this truck, I want some help as what to look for, the good ,the bad and the ugly. I really want another real truck and the wife is onboard. I am lost, I never even knew mopar made a 400 BB, I have been out of the game too long.

If you can help as to what to look for rust, leaks, electrical problems or drive train problems I would appreciate it. Looking to get my feet wet again, but I am lost on these era power wagons.

Thanks,
    Fred

Fred, you are not so disadvantaged in this evaluation as you seem to think. All of your mechanical background and experience will serve you well. The mileage of this truck should pretty much eliminate any significant wear issues in the drive train.

Fortunately for you, all of the devastating cab mount and lower door hinge rust found on the 61-71 trucks will not be present on this one. Just look at the rust from a cosmetic point of view.

I would say your main task will be to visually inspect the truck for cosmetic issues, then operate and drive carefully. Listen to the engine at idle.

This will be an easy evaluation for you. Let us know when you get the truck home!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks

I am in route to see the truck, don't think I have been this excited in years. I feel like I am going to look at my first power wagon.
      Thanks for the kind words, I am hoping this is the one.

Fred

Comment

I suspect it will be the one. Now, put the phone down and drive carefully, please!

Comment

Broken hearted

I was getting coffee when I replied, I can hardly see the buttons yet drive and type.
          He did tell me someone else was coming to look at the truck. He knew I was coming, but was nice enough to call. The truck was sold this morning.
          Going home with my tail between my legs and no truck. Guess it was not meant to be.

Fred

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Too bad you lost out on this one. One thing for sure, there are others! Keep looking and let us know when you find "the one".

Clark

Comment

There will be more!

Comment

Keep looking, furyfred1. The next truck will be better. The hunt is as exciting as the find.

Comment

Fred: the biggest thing besides overall mechanical that I can tell you to look for on the 1972-80 trucks is the radiator support. Look real close at where the inner fender meets the radiator support on the lowest point. Body parts for these trucks are best found at wrecking yards as aftermarket doesn't offer items such as the radiator support and inner fenders.

Also, the cowl area was very poorly sealed from the factory [typical 70's quality issues] and lots of trucks from these years will rust through on the floorboards from the top, especially under the gas pedal. The floor hump on the 4wd models bolts in and can be punky around the mounting areas as well. Nothing that can't be fixed, and replacement floor pans are available.

Gas tanks were plastic, so no issues there, but fuel sending units can be hard to find and pricey when you do. Military surplus stores can sometimes have a treasure trove of parts since these trucks were known as m880 and variants. Small items like ballast resistors, under hood wiring harnesses, tail lights, sending units, tailgate straps, etc, can be found in NOS condition!

I can help but be partial to these trucks as they were the impressionable trucks of my youth. Too bad overdrive wasn't a standard feature back then!

Comment

Welcome!

I've found that a lot of these trucks have the wrong fluid in the transfer case. Usually 90w instead of engine oil. Plus a lot of POs don't know to grease the front hubs (or too lazy to take the wheel off to do so).

the hunt is almost as fun as owning!
                    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                    X