Windshield wiper shaft keepers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield wiper shaft keepers...

I think the next most pleasurable thing to recovering from my hernia surgery and the day after I had 4 screws installed in the spiral fractures of my right hand is the joy that comes to me when I change out the little plastic washer/cap/connector things on the wiper shafts under the windshield cowl.

How the heck are you SUPPOSED to change those things out? I don't have enough joints in my arms to bend into those spaces. I've always installed the cap on the little ball first and then used channel locks to snap the shaft back on top. But not until after a game of hood twister, charlie horses and cuts on my hands and forearms and some really interesting language that my children shouldn't hear. Surely there's a better way? At least this only has to be done every so many years...
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

I've always removed the shaft towers and assembled the linkage with the new bushings to them and then reinstalled the whole assembly minus the wiper motor. It takes a little finess, but it's certainly easier than doing it in the cowl. As they say, your results may vary! Good luck! Doug

Comment

I am at an advantage. My Dodge is functional, not meant to be pretty. Having said that, I removed several "vanes" from the cowl area to gain access to the linkage. I can replace my bushings without removing my wiper arms, cowl cover, or anything. Use the screwdriver/ChannelLock method. And yes still get cuts/scrapes.

Of course, due to the height of my truck, nobody EVER sees my wiper area or my modifications.

Doug's procedure does the least damage to the vehicle.

Bucky

Comment

Ok Doug that's good to know. I wondered about that. This time I did remove the driver's shaft tower which was nice. Next time I'll remove both and slide it in, I didn't this time because it didn't "look" like it would feed back in all assembled.

Bucky, I guess yours is really "customized" then huh? No issues with leaves etc? Oh wait, I forgot you live where there are no trees taller than your hood...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
          Bucky, I guess yours is really "customized" then huh? No issues with leaves etc? Oh wait, I forgot you live where there are no trees taller than your hood...
          No.... its a stock W600. Hood is about 6 & 1/2 foot off ground..... There are not a lot of trees in Wichita Falls, Texas. And I don't park under the ones that are here.

Bucky

Comment

Oh I didn't mean lifted, I meant customized tongue in cheek in regard to the butchered cowl vent.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Yes sir, its butchered. I wouldn't normally have done it, but this thing seems to have wiper linkage issues & I just made it easier to get in there lol.
              The wiper motor doesn't sound to healthy & isn't very fast, so I suspect I will be "going back in there" again soon.

I can't imagine hernia surgery or screws in my hand. Does not sound fun at all.

Bucky

Comment

You have any more pictures of that beast? Not seen any new ones in a while. I'd LOVE to have one of those trucks, well and a crew cab again and also a 70's w300 dually and maybe a '72-74 w200 and a pop top Ramcharger and ...
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Like Doug said

I took the linkage out completely in order to replace them. But I tried that method after this:
                  Attached Files

Comment

You have any more pictures of that beast? Not seen any new ones in a while. I'd LOVE to have one of those trucks, well and a crew cab again and also a 70's w300 dually and maybe a '72-74 w200 and a pop top Ramcharger and ...
                    I took this July 5th, outside the little country church where I got married that day. It has a fairly fresh coat of paint that I did a few months earlier. I don't know if I posted that pic before or not, its definitely the most recent one I have.
                    I'm looking to do a headlight upgrade by installing relays.
                    I decided to NOT put in my 440, waiting for a 175" or longer wb truck to come along.

Chewie, that index finger looks a little short.

Bucky
                    Attached Files

Comment

My butchered cowl isn't really visible in this picture. Nor is the passenger side wiper, but both ARE there.

Bucky

Comment

Chewie, that index finger looks a little short.

Bucky[/QUOTE]

It does. But it's still all there. I did put a gash in it (along with my thumb) when my kid blipped the switch while I had my digits inside the cowl.
                        After the excitement died down, I tried plan B.

Comment

OUCH Chewie! I thought the process was as complicated as it could already be, next time I'll try doing with the wiper motor on like you for a real challenge...

712edf that truck looks a lot better than it did! I guess paint helps a lot. I really like those tires. Do you drive it much?

Did you just get married this past July? If so, congratulations!
                          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Did you just get married this past July? If so, congratulations!
                            No kidding! Congratulations, Bucky!

Comment

Wow Chewie, I bet you couldn't get away from that cowl/wiper fast enough.

Yes our wedding was Friday July 5th. Just a few weeks before my 45th birthday. Finally caught me one! Thanks for the congrats :-)

KRB64 those tires are studded Kelly-Springfields. I think 11.00 X 20
                              The previous owner put them on several years ago. The are tubed-bias & in certain temperatures seem to be more square than round. Some of that (flatspots/hardspots) is due to previous owner letting truck sit for months at a time, EVERY year, for over a decade. I really should replace them, but they don't leak ANY air & have 95% of the tread left. I have snow chains for four of them.

I sprayed a coat of paint on the cab last Spring. Did it outdoors with an HVLP sprayer. Not show quality, but still a nice smooth finish. I don't want it looking too good, its a driver.

I drive it weekly, more in the Winter if it gets slick out. It runs best it 36 mph, that's the sweet spot. I have had it past 50-55, but that is borderline abuse.

5 MPG is about normal.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X