Won't idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far I've cleaned out the carb 3x...

Today it got up to 60* and I took the opportunity to get all the gunk out since it still ran like crap. So I siphoned the tank empty and out of about 12 gallons I had about one and a half gallons of water/crud/whatever. Put in 10 gallons of new gas and a can of Seafoam and so far so good...

Still not sure if it was bad gas or just "old" fuel or ethanol seperation.

What ever happened to the good ol' days when gas lasted forever...
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Used to be that as gas "aged" the octane increased, or so I was told in automotive class. I don't know if that's scientifically accurate.

I do think modern pump gas has too many things added to it.

More so for the stuff they package & pass off at the grocery store as "food".

Glad you found something and got it corrected.

Bucky

Comment

Interesting food reference. The general idea is that if the end product isn't recognizable, as far as the ingredients go, then it isn't good for you or "does it look like what it's made from?" In other words, the less processed the better.

We've given up margarine for butter and started using lard again instead of "Crisco", olive oil instead of vegetable oil, etc.

I'd like to switch my truck back to the old stuff too but that ain't happening.
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Update

I think I found my problem.

The plastic gas can I'd been using to top off the truck looks to be the culprit. I used it a few weeks ago and while emptying it, a little gas seeped out the seam in the handle. So I think, OK, maybe this allowed it to absorb moisture (even though stored inside we have high humidity here).

So I quit using it and haven't had a problem since with water in the fuel or a gunked up carb. I can't believe I fought this for so long and it was as simple as that. Story of my life...

I'm tired of battling these new EPA plastic cans with the new environmental spouts that leak and spill more than the simple old fashioned ones. Are there some good metal cans out there? My brother has bought some old military ones and lined them.
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
          X