400 oil pan capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 oil pan capacity

Hi Guys, I have a question regarding the oil pan capacity of my 400. I have rebuilt the engine and had to make a new dipstick tube as the old one was mangled. The tube is the same length as the original. I have dumped 6.4 liters (6.76 quarts) into the pan and prelubed the engine. The dipstick level indicates just over the add mark. The fsm says it should be 4 quarts which works out to 3.78 liters. That didn't even get it on the stick. The manual states that a 361/413 engine should have 8 quarts (7.57 liters) which makes more sense in my situation. It also says a 440 should have 5 quarts. All of these have 1 additional quart for the oil filter. Making measurements, the oil level appears to be about 1 1/4" below the block. I can't remember what it took before as I haven't driven this truck much in the last 25 years. Any idea what it should be? Any info will help. Thanks!

Did the block, pan, dipstick tube and dipstick all start life out together?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

So far as I know they did. I cant imagine why they would have been changed. An old Dodge guy I know seems to remember there being a different pan for cars and trucks with the truck pan being deeper. I have called around and no definitive answers yet. Hmm. Maybe I should call the guy that drove it the last 20-some years. He may remember. I just need to scare up his phone number.

Comment

I'm almost certain that my 2 factory big block trucks take 6 qts. in the pan and 1 additional for the filter. Doug p.s. just checked my oil change records book, and we have 7 total quarts listed.

Comment

Thanks dougdodgeman. That makes a bunch more sense. I appreciate the time and effort it took to look that up for me. Much obliged.

Comment

Working...
          X