New member with a 77 Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a 77 Power Wagon

New guy here... Great site here ! I Just got an all original 77 Power Wagon a few weeks ago. Its the 1/2 ton long bed 318 2 barrel truck with the original two-tone green paint. It is mostly rust-free except a little place behind front driver side wheel.

When I bought it I was told the motor and tranny had both been rebuilt, but couldn't drive due to fuel tank/line issues. After towing home I found the tranny was messed up and I had to have it rebuilt before I could even drive it one time !

That's been done but as I drove it for the first time in 4wd there's a terrible popping/thud type noise in either the right front wheel or underneath in 4wd parts somewhere. Should I look first to the bearings and seals or start somewhere else to find the problem ?

Also, is the fuel tank pretty easy to drop and have cleaned ? Its not running good at all I think due to old gas left in the tank. I paid a shop 200$ to fix the tank and he didn't do it right I'm guessing
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, TC

Welcome.

Try disconnecting the fuel line going into the fuel pump. Then run a line from a clean jug of gas into the pump. See if it changes how the engine runs. Install a new inline filter if it doesn't already have one.

When you say "first time in 4wd" do you mean in when the shifter is in "loc"? Does it make the same noise when the shifter is not in loc?

Bucky

Comment

Bucky, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have already done the auxiliary tank thing and it ran good, but that was before the repair guy had hooked up the real fuel line to the fuel tank. I think i may have to do as you have said again to see if it runs cleaner and has more power... I put a good bit of gas in the tank thinking they had drained all the bad.

At first it ran ok but once the fuel filter got all messed up from the bad gas they must not have drained it got to bogging down again. I replaced the fuel filter and it ran better, but I'm afraid to try and push my luck thinking there is still bad gas in there, which I am sure there is :(

May just have to drop the tank and get it cleaned... We will see. Concerning the 4wd, the truck drives ok when not in low loc or hi loc but when I engage it either up or down into low or high it seems to start the popping... Sounds like the while front axle is about to drop off. Not sure if it's ujounts, bad front-end parts or what... The truck sat for a long time so I am trying to resurect it... More work than I thought it needed though :(

Anyway, whatever you recommend I will try, as you seem to be THE man around these parts :)

Comment

What is unique about these trucks is that even when not in either Loc position, the front driveshaft/ring & pinion/axleshafts/u-joints are all still turning.... but they are not locked together with the rear driveshaft.

Some "popping" is to be expected in loc position if you are driving on any hard surface.

Today's ethanol gas has about the same shelf life as orange juice.

Bucky

Comment

But they were an amazing 4-wheel drive that could pull like no ones business, that is as long as you can keep the tires on the ground on off ice.

The only time I ever got one stuck, was high centered on a pile of snow, and in an ice covered ditch. Otherwise, it pulled out everything I ever hooked it up to.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

77 powerwagon

Thanks Bucky for the advice here. I will probably just go ahead and drop the tank to be on the safe side. Concerning the popping noise it is definetely more than normal, expected noise. I will probably get the fuel situation fixed first then move on to that and we will see where it goes....Again, I really appreciate your support and good advice.

P.s. Years ago I had a 85 Ramcharger for many years and never stuck it one single time. I hope this powerwagon will be as stout and dependable as the RC was :)

TC

Comment

Is it a full time or part time 4wd? If it is full time, the front axle parts and front driveshaft are always turning so the noise would be coming from the NP203 (chain driven with differential assembly that allows 4wd on paved surfaces without "hopping") transfer case. If it is part time, try it with the hubs unlocked with it in 4wd and see if the noise is still there. If it is gone, it is likely hub issues. If it is still there, could be transfer case (NP205, gear driven without benefit of that aforementioned diff assembly so will hop like crazy on paved surface)), tight u-joint (dry, rusted, seized due to lack of lube), axle or hub issue too. Crawl under there and take a close look at the u joints for any sign of rust around the caps. Pop the front wheels off and take a close look at the axle joints. Pop the front diff cover off and see what falls out. Just use high temp rtv sealant to put the cover back on, no need for a gasket. Pop the hubs off and see if there is any shrapnel in there or any grease. Look for sloppy u joints too. Or maybe something is touching something else it shouldn't like the front driveshaft and the exhaust. It's pretty tight in places under there. Good luck!

Comment

77 PW front end issues

Thanks 76. Yes, the truck to the best of my knowledge is indeed full-time 4wd.....You have threw alot out there for me to look at. I will definetely
                have some direction to go in now. I really appreciate it and will report back in as we get some things figured out.

Regards, TC

Comment

You may want to look at your joints in the axles along with the CV joint at the TC. I had a 78 which had that problem. I'm sure the 1/2 tons are like the 3/4 tons in that you have to grease the hubs through a hole in the rotor. This may have been neglected by the previous owner more than likely.

Comment

Since this truck is full time I would think that if it were a driveshaft, axle or front differential we'd here it all the time. Since the noise only comes when in Hi Loc or Lo Loc and it seems to be coming from the right or below wouldn't that point to the transfer case?
                    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I was just saying he should look at those parts also while he's under the truck. It sounds like this truck, as many are, was worked hard and put away wet.

Comment

77 pw front end

Ron, thanks for the suggestions. I will be tackling this part of the project hopefully in a few days and will let yall know what we find out.

I appreciate your help

TC

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                          I'm sure the 1/2 tons are like the 3/4 tons in that you have to grease the hubs through a hole in the rotor.
                          This is correct on the Dana 44 trucks, of which all W100's and most W200's were.

Bucky

Comment

Sounds like you have a bad u joint on the front driveshaft, while you have it off you may as well replace all the u joints on the front driveshaft. It also could be a u joint on the front axle.

Comment

77 front end

Thanks, Diesel...... Thanks to all you guys I now have some direction where to at least start. I got to replace some plug-wires and do some more of that stuff then I should be able to tackle the front end.

I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X