And now for my next question-front driveshaft lengthening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for my next question-front driveshaft lengthening

Here is an issue I have been contemplating (procrastinating more like) for a while. I am not happy with the amount of spline engagement on my front drive shaft. I lifted the front end 4 inches and now the slip joint is only 30% engaged. I was thinking of having the shaft modified by a local machine shop to extend it or maybe I will just cut it and weld a sleeve in to extend it. How have you dealt with this issue and how deep should the engagement be? I seem to recall there was a majority of the spline engaged before the lift so at least 50% or more I would think. Thoughts?

I went two steps further and had an F-series front shaft cut down to fit my last Dodge FS truck. I swapped the axle pinion mount and the t-case mounts for 1350-series U-joints. With the full-time 4wd, nary a vibration and bigger joints, too.

Comment

That sounds like a skookum fix, however I have already replaced all of the u-joints on this ds and would like to use it if possible. Is there a likelihood of a vibration issue when using the original ds like I am? Did you have that problem and that's why you went that route?

Comment

I used the Ford shaft and U-joints for a bit more strength, not wanting to break when offroading with the 36" tires and service body. I had previously swapped the rear DS over to the 1350s. The original Dodge front shaft came to me with the truck, but had been severely distorted by the POs use/abuse, and was estimated at a higher repair cost than the modified Ford shaft I used.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Dodge piece. My 87 Ramcharger has the OE shaft and u-joints, nothing amiss with it. I have not measured the amount of spline engagement that has your concern, and RC has a 4" lift too. Presently, this is my daily driver at 70 miles per day, but all highway. If I was bouncing around the country more, I might investigate the engagement depth more thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
        X