Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 W100 With Sno Fiter - Removing Hydraulics

First,
    I am new here...if this is the wrong away to go about this, someone say so.
    I am not terribly clever - this is my first Power Wagon purchase (1973 W100 slant six three speed) and I need guidance. So here goes:

I want to remove ALL of the bracketry associated with the Meyers plow on my truck so I can rebuild (paint, new lines, etc...) the plow. I want to be able to drive the truck while this goes on. The plow is off the truck; however, I want to remove all of the TRUCK SIDE bracketry. What do I do with the hyrdraulics:

Cap off all of the fittings, loop a line from the reservoir to the pump, remove everything (including the pump) and find some way to shorten the belt?

Some one called DODGEBOYS had a diagram of the system a cou0le opf years ago but I can't seem to get in touch with him.

Thanks in advance

First, you are exactly in the correct place. Welcome!!

Does the hydraulics run off of the power steering pump?

We need more information with how your plow/pump is set-up before giving a good answer.

Bucky

Comment

Sno Fiter Pump

Yes, the hydraulic pump is actaully a power steering pump. It is dedicated to the plow. I took another look and I guess I can just take the belt off - it doesn't drive anythinng else. Once the pump isn't turning I guess I can disconnect whatever I want - there won't be any pressure.

Am I overlooking anything?

Comment

Oh ok, it has TWO pumps. One for P/S & one for the plow.

Pulling the belt will work. Be sure to close off any openings when you remove the hoses/lines, to prevent debris from entering & lessen leakage of hydraulic fluid.

Does the plow have the lights, usually mounted higher than truck's headlights? They should be simple to disconnect the wiring.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks Bucky

That sounds good, thank you.

Yes it has lights but like you said that's easy.

As far as having two pumps - I wish! This truck was bare bones, no radio, no AC, and certainly no pwer steering. She will work you.

Another question if you don't mind.

Have you ever changed the gasket on the timing chain cover - slant six? A mechanic told me he would pull the engine to do this; but, it just doesn't look like that big of deal to me. I have a leak that looks like someone already tried the "bead of silicone" route. It only leaks once the enigne gets warm.

I plan on pulling the engine and tranny ultimately so I can get a good paint job inside but I'm not quite ready for that.

Your thoughts?

Comment

I have only owned two slant sixes and didn't have either of them long enough to do any real maintenance.

I suspect the oil pan has to come off to properly do this, but I may be mistaken.

www.slantsix.org is a good site to learn about your engine.

I love manual steering/brakes & no options. That's a truck!!

Bucky

Comment

For the record, when I was in 1st grade (74-75), we lived in Pueblo, Co for one year. My Dad's "company" vehicle was a blue 1974 W200 Sno-fiter.
              I have fond memories of that truck.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
              X