Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking gear box

Hi guys,

The steering gear box on my '77 M880 is leaking from both the input shaft ( a little ) and the output shaft ( a little more ) It is still drivable ( not a gushing leak ) but I am getting tired of the mess in the driveway.

How many of you guys have had luck in just replacing the seals and actually fixing the leak ?

Have any of you guys had any trouble with a re-man unit ?

Where can I get an exploided view of the gear box ?

What are the spects to adjust the box ?

Many Thanks,

Several years ago (25?) I took a '73 PW steering box to a Dodge dealer and they were able to replace the seals. Hasn't leaked since. It would probably take finding an OLD SCHOOL type of mechanic to do that today. I doubt that my local dealer would touch it today.

Comment

Hi guys,

I went ahead and bought a new power steering gear box to replace my leaking one and Advance Auto sent me a box that has a bigger input shaft. ( 13/16 vs 3/4 )

My question is :
      If I get a bigger rag joint for the box end, will it still mate up with the steering collume end ?

I just don't want to go threw the hassle of sending it back and finding another source for a box.

Many Thanks,

Comment

Stay away from the rag joint and order a Borgeson steering shaft.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...ts-p-1454.html

Comment

For those of you following this thread :

Apparently, when I added the power steering years ago, I grabbed one from a 1978-1979 ramcharger witch has the smaller input shaft.

The unit Advance sent me was the correct one for the 1977. I went ahead and ordered a new rag joint threw Advance and everything is all good for now.

Many Thanks for all who responded to this thread .

Comment

Working...
          X