new here with my 75w100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here with my 75w100

Hello all Like the sight. I just bought a 1975 w100 from a neighbor that has been sitting for years. Just got it back running with a new intake and carb cam and lifters, and yes a little rust repair. I am sure many have done this before but relocating the fuel tank from cab to frame what is a good way to go and what year did they remove it from cab? can I easily get one from a few years later and any good connections on them? thanks look for pics later.

Welcome!!!

About the year yours came out is when they started putting gas tanks under the bed. I think tanks all the way up to 1993 could be made to work as frames were basically the same, but since I'm not sure about things like crossmember location, I'd stick with trying to find a tank from 75-80 models. Also around 1988 trucks went from carbs to fuel injection & fuel pumps were moved to in tank I believe ( not certain), so those later tanks may be different as well.

All this is assuming you are getting a used one from a salvage yard. I am not sure what is available new for a mid 70's truck.

Truck wheelbase may be a factor in determining what tanks properly fits too.

Don't throw away your old tank if its still usable, they are hard to find & a few lost souls (myself included) like them better than under bed tanks. You could sell it to a fellow Dodge owner if one is nearby (I don't think used gas tanks can be shipped).

Bucky

Comment

I have shipped several Montero fuel tanks, but only after a summer of airing them out.

1977/78 were the last years of the in-cab tanks. If you find a later frame tank, make sure to get all the mounts from the donor frame. Lastly, you could also use a similar age Ramcharger tank, 22 to 38 gallon variety placed behind the rear axle.

Comment

My 77's have the frame mounted tank but the '76 has the in cab one.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Google around a bit. I am sure i have seen them for sale somewhere brand new. They are plastic so no rust issues if you want to go used. Get everything you can from the donor truck if you do as that stuff is pricey, especially the fuel sender, if you can find one. I had to buy mine NOS off Ebay from some joint in New York. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
            My 77's have the frame mounted tank but the '76 has the in cab one.
            Not a '76, it's a '72. Sorry for the mistype.
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Welcome and plus one on saving the tank. They rust out at the foam line, about half way up. Ask me how I know (after spending a fortune installing a new interior and loading the camper and all the gear to go camping after having taken the entire truck apart and putting it back and then filling the tank)

Comment

Working...
              X