Hey all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all

Hey folks, new to the forum. I recently purchase a 78 Power Wagon W150 for my daughter's birthday and graduation. It is a fixer upper but runs good. Lots of little things to fix. Specifically the floor boards and bed rust. I have lots of questions and hope to find answers as well as contribute what I learn along the way. Look forward to engaging with all of you.

Welcome, no better place to get help from those who've done it already. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. My first 4x4 was a 78 3/4 ton Club Cab with a 360. Great truck. Don't be afraid to ask a question we're all in this together.

Comment

Welcome to the family and site. The 77/78's are great looking Truck's. Ask away and keep us posted on your progress.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
        Welcome, no better place to get help from those who've done it already. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. My first 4x4 was a 78 3/4 ton Club Cab with a 360. Great truck. Don't be afraid to ask a question we're all in this together.
        Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm trying to identify all the parts. What differentials I have. The transmission and transfer cases. I has all time 4x4 no locking hubs. Wanting to do fluid changes and what not. It looks like someone put a different carb than stock. Has an Edelbrock 4 barrel from the looks of it with and Edelbrock intake and value covers.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
          Welcome to the family and site. The 77/78's are great looking Truck's. Ask away and keep us posted on your progress.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by theforce View Post
            The transmission and transfer cases. I has all time 4x4 no locking hubs.
            That series of Dodge Power Wagons were full time 4WD, adding locking hubs will just cause the truck to set and go no where until you put the transfercase in lock or lock the hubs in. It has a a full tine NP203 transfercase and if it's an automatic it has a 727 torqueflite.

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm trying to identify all the parts. What differentials I have. The transmission and transfer cases. I has all time 4x4 no locking hubs. Wanting to do fluid changes and what not. It looks like someone put a different carb than stock. Has an Edelbrock 4 barrel from the looks of it with and Edelbrock intake and value covers.
              Welcome. I have had a few 77's and a 79. The half ton will have a Dana 44 front and Chrysler 9.25 rear axles, and NP203 transfer case. The front has non-serviceable wheel bearings and these trucks use the smaller 5x5 bolt pattern. I know you can put a part time kit in your 203 case if you would like. What are your intensions with the truck? Daily driver, off roader, maybe a little of both? They are a good strong truck that can handle a fair amount of abuse. I'm sure you will enjoy it. What area are you from? I am in east central Minnesota.

Andy

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Did you buy the truck for your daughter?
                Cool.
                She might appreciate the full time 203.. my wife likes our crew cab for the same reason. No worries about when to use 4wd, and nothing to mess up on dry pavement.
                75/90 should be fine in your half ton's diffs.
                10w/30 motor oil in the 203..
                And if yours has the no slip rear, it'll need that additive.

Comment

That series of Dodge Power Wagons were full time 4WD, adding locking hubs will just cause the truck to set and go no where until you put the transfercase in lock or lock the hubs in. It has a a full tine NP203 transfercase and if it's an automatic it has a 727 torqueflite.
                  Yeah, I have all-time 4x4. No locking hubs. What's the normal way to operate the 4x4 selector?

Comment

Originally posted by Andydodgegeek View Post
                    Welcome. I have had a few 77's and a 79. The half ton will have a Dana 44 front and Chrysler 9.25 rear axles, and NP203 transfer case. The front has non-serviceable wheel bearings and these trucks use the smaller 5x5 bolt pattern. I know you can put a part time kit in your 203 case if you would like. What are your intensions with the truck? Daily driver, off roader, maybe a little of both? They are a good strong truck that can handle a fair amount of abuse. I'm sure you will enjoy it. What area are you from? I am in east central Minnesota.

Andy
                    Andy,

Thanks for the info. I do have the 5 bolt pattern. As for usage, I gave it to my daughter as a graduation and 18th birthday present. She is going to be using it as a daily driver and I'm sure she and her boyfriend will end up off road with it at some point. What is the recommended way to operate the 4x4 selector. Does it need to be park, neutral or drive when selecting. It appears to have some sort of limited slip as it doesn't do that jerky motion when you turn while in 4x4. What is the recommended fluid for the NP203? Plain old tranny fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
                      Did you buy the truck for your daughter?
                      Cool.
                      She might appreciate the full time 203.. my wife likes our crew cab for the same reason. No worries about when to use 4wd, and nothing to mess up on dry pavement.
                      75/90 should be fine in your half ton's diffs.
                      10w/30 motor oil in the 203..
                      And if yours has the no slip rear, it'll need that additive.
                      Chewie,

Thanks for the information. I'll have to put it up on jack stands and see if it has the no slip rear. If both wheels turn when I turn one wheel then I have to add the additive, right?

Comment

Yeah, I have all-time 4x4. No locking hubs. What's the normal way to operate the 4x4 selector?
                        Until you know you need to "lock" the front and rear drive shafts together just leave it in 4-HI. By no means don't put into "Lock" on any hard dry surfaces.

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

Comment

Until you know you need to "lock" the front and rear drive shafts together just leave it in 4-HI. By no means don't put into "Lock" on any hard dry surfaces.
                          Do I need to be in park to engage the "Lock"?

Comment

Park, or neutral and not moving.
                            Only 'lock' it on dirt. Never on pavement, like Will says.

Comment

Do I need to be in park to engage the "Lock"?
                              No, just don't be on the throttle when you engage it, let off and the slide it in and get back on the throttle. This will save any banging and hard slamming damage, just be careful and not get back on the throttle too hard it any one of the axles in a binding situation.

Thanks,
                              Will
                              WAWII.com

Comment

Working...
                              X