Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Hulk": Ugly green truck to Juneau??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Aaahhh congratulations!!

Leave a comment:

• KRB64
    replied
    Life definitely gets in the way! Just checking to make sure we weren't missing anything. Don't feel guilty, we all deal with the same/similar distractions (of time AND money).

At least the kid is making a valiant effort at schooling. I just graduated my oldest last weekend...

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Feel like I’m letting you guys down!

My 20-year-old has decided to take classes next summer at university, so WE’RE NOT GOING NEXT SUMMER. I can say unequivocally that I am bummed-out, but the kid is trying hard so I just accept and support.

The current goal is summer 2021...

I have been in the middle of repainting the cab and the donor bed, as well as making the 30 gallon gas tank, for three months. Family and work obligations have made time available for this project next to zero.

Now, I am in the process of buying and fixing up a vehicle for a friend of my older kid’s who is poor and just starting out. So there will be another month lost...

Lastly, my M35A2 deuce needs some attention, maybe two or three weekends’ worth!

I hope all of you have had more successful past few months than I have!!!

Leave a comment:

• KRB64
    replied
    Any updates for us or on a hiatus?

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Yes, slightly. The box was 12” x 11”; the stainless tank body is 11 1/2” x 12”.

You’re right, there IS a lot of weight on the driver’s side. I put the exhaust on the passenger side to get the noise further from the driver.

It would be easy to move the battery; maybe the tank would have been better on the passenger side.

Leave a comment:

• KRB64
    replied
    Is that a smaller mockup on the right?

Dodge put a lot of biased weight on the driver's side: driver, battery, steering box, fuel tank...

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    The D-100 has been sold to an older guy who plans to restore it. I delivered it to his property about 30 miles away; got flea-bit after I said hi to his horses, and the transmission locked up while trying to roll it off the trailer...!

I've started the new fuel tank: it's about 56"L x 11 1/2"H x 12 1/4"W. That works out to about 34 gallons. The steel is stainless 304 and is 16 gauge, and will weigh about 50 lbs. when finished. The one sheet of 48"W x 120"L cost me about $350. When full, the tank will weigh about 360 lbs. which is about twice what the stock, thin-wall 20 gallon tank weighed full.

145.jpg
    Cardboard box mock-up

146.jpg
    Not too low...

147.jpg

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    140.jpg

141.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg
    The front corner deck panels are rotten...

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

NEXT comes a stainless steel 32-gallon (+/-) inside-rail-mounted fuel tank, tidy-up the wiring, and then
    the bed. ...also trying to get the D100 running and sold.

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    I have been able to get the bed off the D100, take it to the sandblaster and return, and place the stepside bed onto the D100!

122.jpg

121.jpg
    I'm not using the 5-ton front PTO winch because it's easier to use an electric winch
    with pendant control.

124.jpg
    Daughters, younger one's boyfriend, and wife helping!

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    To all of You who have had the patience to follow this in its entirety:

I apologize for the number of pages this is coming out to, but I am documenting this project in detail as an offer of information to others who may run into some of the issues I've addressed.

I have seen some blogs go into the HUNDREDS of pages, and I usually skip those!

I will try to faithfully disclose all pertinent information without burdening the reader with detail overload...

The actual trip will be a new thread; this one is for maintenance and repairs only. Maintenance issues experienced during the trip will be shared here, as well.

Best regards,
    -Ken

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Today I got the D100 donor truck lifted off the ground 7" for underneath working clearance, and got the bed unbolted and the taillights disconnected and removed; it's ready for removal and transport to the sandblaster!!!

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    I have nearly finished the A-frame crane boom which I have been working on for about 9 months. I had originally
    wanted to build it because "it's neat", but now I have several jobs which it will greatly help facilitate.

This boom concept was actually Army-issue kit, but I have not been able to locate one.

In regards to Power Wagons, this boom will be used to lift the two truck beds for the swap.

IMG_5519_web.jpg
    It is designed to use the PTO-driven 10,000 lb winch; I plan to use an electric one for ease of use.

I designed it to lift 3,000 lbs, 10' reach, 13' lift; I plan to only lift no more than 800-900 lbs.

It is shown mounted to my 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 6x6 2.5 ton ("deuce-and-a-half") truck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oldndcctrucks; 09-14-2019, 12:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    I performed a test run with the Hulk: I pulled the donor truck and car trailer (approx. 4300 lbs + approx. 1600 lbs for a total of approx. 5900 lbs) as a simulation of the travel trailer we will be towing.

I took the rig east to north Palm Springs and back; there are two grades to the summit at Whitewater, one of which is about 1.2 miles at 2.6% grade and the other about 10 miles at 1.5% average with a maximum grade of 2.5%. I had to calculate the grades by getting elevations since our wonderful state DOT does not have that information on-line nor available by calling in to any office. (I CAN, however, go in to the main district office and request to see as-built plans!)

The truck handled very well, the trailer brake controller also did very well, and the engine temp did not come up much off the "normal" line. I only had to drop into third for the last mile to the summit going west while fighting a 20-30 mph gusting headwind. Outside temperature was from 87 to 93 degrees.

I had the gas pedal floored for most of each climb and did not hear any pinging or pre-ignition. The stainless mufflers are now somewhat discolored!

I am satisfied that the stock 318 engine with the stock 2-barrel carb will be fine for the G-R-E-A-T T-R-I-P. The four wheel hubs didn't get too hot, nor did the transmission or transfer case.

117.jpg
    Going west; this view shows the 2.6% grade going eastbound, about mid way.

116.jpg
    Going east, this view shows the 1.5% to 2.5% grade going westbound, near the summit.

115.jpg

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    I got the front tow/winch hitch done and installed. This item will also be the mount for the brush guard,
    if I have time to make it.

118.jpg

119.jpg

Leave a comment:

• oldndcctrucks
    replied
    Front springs:

Replace main and second leaves; possibly shorten eye-to-eye by 1/2"; add about 1" lift to arc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X