Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 W200 T-205 transfer case support rod???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 W200 T-205 transfer case support rod???

66.jpg

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS about this 5/8" all-thread rod which Bubba installed?

The cross-member that it goes through has a section which looks like it was work-hardened and fractured
    (some material is missing). The upper cross-member which the t-case hangs from seems normal and serviceable.

I can't find a reference to it in the factory service manual....?

I can't say that I have seen that before.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I have seen a divorced t-case with a similar rod, but it was much shorter. It wasn't a NP205 though. My 72 W200 did NOT have one.

Maybe Bubba was hard on equipment & felt the need to add it.

Bucky

Comment

That's the rare, special, dealer installed Mopar Strengthening Strut for high HP/torque 318s... Or a handy place to hang your trouble light - either one...
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

:rolleyes:;)

Comment

Well, I cut the “bubba rod” and now the transfer case shift lever in the cab shakes like crazy when accelerating; obviously a bandaid fix.

One more thing to add to the list

Comment

Well, I cut the “bubba rod” and now the transfer case shift lever in the cab shakes like crazy when accelerating; obviously a bandaid fix.

One more thing to add to the list

Comment

I have determined the complete situation:

1. When the transfer case input and output yokes are no longer "in phase" (lined up), shaking occurs.
                2. Yokes being "out of phase" is caused by transfer case operation in LOW.
                3. The yokes are placed back "in phase" easily by setting the parking brake, placing both the transmission and the transfer case in N neutral, and rotating the jack shaft between the two cases by hand, then placing the transfer case back into 2H.
                4. The Bubba rod was a bandaid which masked the problem.

I found this exact situation with my truck; the yokes were about 90 degrees out-of-phase; performing the above action proved the problem with an immediate test-drive, which resulted in the transfer case shifter not shaking even a little.

I found this explanation and solution at the "Sweptline.ORG '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Online Community" site:

"
                Transfer Case Lever Shaking
                Post by JohnB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 am

Got a chance to drive my W200 down about 20 miles of dirt road so I put in 4WD {High and Low range} to slosh some lubricant around the front diff. After putting the transfer case back in 2WD and driving on the pavement, I noticed the transfer case lever shakes back and forth quite a bit when starting out from a standing stop. Just shakes until the truck gets going and doesnt do it in any other gear while upshifting. Any ideas? Loose mounting bracket bolts? universals need grease? something else?
                John

digdoug Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
                Posts: 2851 Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm Location: Genesee,Id. Re: Transfer Case Lever ShakingPost by digdoug » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 pm
                That is the downfall of divorced transfer cases. When you drive it in low range it messes up the phasing between the jack shaft and rear shaft.
                Just put the tc and tranny in neutral ,set the parking break,crawl under and line up the yokes of the two shafts.Put them back in gear and recheck to be sure the jack shaft is still in phase.

LINK: http://www.sweptline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36820

Comment

Here is a link to a detailed, heavily-illustrated rebuild guide:
                  http://www.wideopen4x4.com/NP205RebuildGuide.html

Comment

Interesting, I never knew that.
                    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                    X