Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383 vs 400?

Good Day!

I am considering an engine upgrade for my ‘73 W200.

So, I would truly appreciate any discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of the 383 and the 400.

I might consider the 413 but it seems much rarer and there may be fewer parts available.

I intend to rebuild whichever to stock; no major modifications.

It will mate up to the stock manual trans 4x4 drivetrain.

Any takers???

Well in stock form the 383 would eat the 400, simply because 383s were from the higher compression era & the 400 was a smog motor. Plus 383 were generally internally balanced forged crank while the 400 were externally balanced cast crank. Finding the proper flywheel for either might be a challenge.

But the 400 has the biggest bore of any big block Mopar, which leads itself well to a stroker crank & more cubic inches. Your pocketbook determines how far either goes.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks!

So, would you consider a forged crank to be stronger/more reliable than a cast one?

Comment

Originally posted by oldndcctrucks View Post
        Thanks!

So, would you consider a forged crank to be stronger/more reliable than a cast one?
        That is generally accepted as a truth in the industry. However in stock form I don't think it matters, both were sufficient enough to handle the loads they were expected to encounter.

It's when you get into modifications of the engine (compression, induction, whatever) where power & RPM increase then crankshaft strength comes into play.

Bucky

Comment

Understood!

Thank you very much

So when I’m looking for a complete engine for rebuild or a replacement crank, forged vs cast is generally irrelevant.

Comment

Yes as far as running the engine as it is or rebuilt to stock specifications.

It does become relevant when searching for a flywheel

Bucky

Comment

Working...
            X