Swapping motor & trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping motor & trans

Not visited for a while for a variety of issues. Is it just down to me and 712edf and maybe Oldndctrucks now?

I lucked out on a low mileage 360 with a 4 speed. I plan to swap it into one of my M880s where a 318 and 727 reside. I'm pretty sure it's almost a direct swap. Just not positive about the crossmember and driveshafts. Anybody "been there done that"?

Many thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Is the donor 4 speed 2wd or 4wd?

If it's 4wd does it have a 203 transfer case, another transfer case, or no transfer case at?

Seems like one of the engine mounts is different between the 318 & the 360, but I'm not positive.

The more parts you get from the donor vehicle (clutch linkage stuff) the less headaches later. Of course going on a scavenger hunt can be fun.

Bucky

Comment

It was a 4x4. I'm getting the transfer case too, plus the clutch linkage and 600 Holley & headers ($750 package deal). I was wanting just the trans but couldn't pass up the package. Thought about the steering column too but I might just remove the auto shifter lever on mine & go on?

I think it is the 203 but I'm really not sure yet (the cab was still on it but the axles were gone so the frame was sitting on some tires close to the ground). Could be a 205 but I doubt it. Single shift.

The '79 W200 truck came from Oregon with a 44 front axle & locking hubs so the transfer case might have been swapped too or he may not have even had the front axle in yet but he didn't say anything about having a part-time kit in it. It originally had a 440 but he said it was too thirsty so he found another truck with this 360 and 73,xxx on the odometer and dropped it in. Then he found a square body 2x4 crew cab chevy so now the axles are going under it (he has 2 kids & wanted the extra room). That's how come me to end up with the 360/4-speed/xfer.

It was a club cab with a shortened frame (well done) to accommodate a short bed. It was amazing to see such clean sheet metal and original painted frame here in KY! Body is available but I don't need that at the moment, too much already sitting around...

He just texted me last night that he had it all out & ready to pickup but I'm headed to TN for the week so it'll be next weekend before I can really see what I got.

Been a long time since I had a 360 (1980s) and really been missing a standard transmission in a truck...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Anything (less than W600) from 75 through 79 would be a 203. The 205 (married) mainly came only in Dana 60 front equipped trucks 80-93.

Is your M880 manual steering? I have done the column swap from PS automatic to MS manual, wasn't too bad. I don't think neither of mine were tilt which adds a step unless you swap the complete unit.

I always liked manual shift trucks myself, but never drove them often enough to get tired of it.

Bucky

Comment

I'm assuming it's a 203 but got to wondering if he changed that with the locking hubs on the front axle maybe. Otherwise I think there is some kind of kit you put in the 203 to accommodate that. I need to get that all figured out so I know what I have.

It started out as manual steering but I converted it to power for easier town driving and so my wife wouldn't complain as much. Put I kept the big old orginal steering wheel.
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Yes, Mile Marker & others offered conversion kits for the 203 to convert it to part time. In the 70's while our economy was in a nose dive things like these part time kits & economaster carbs were being offered as a way to boost fuel mileage.

There is a procedure to check if the 203 has been converted without opening it up. Of course it helps greatly if it was in a running/driving vehicle.

Amazing that you have a wife who would drive a M880. My wife doesn't even like to ride in my vehicles, not that it bothers me.

Bucky

Comment

She also likes my '92 W250 Cummins too, lucky I guess, makes it easier to justify these old work horses.

Funny story about the M880 & her driving. Years ago we had an epic ice storm and for some reason she was already in the M880 coming home. It got so bad she had to shift into low-loc and finally made it home driving in the ditches to avoid the slick pavement. Next morning as the sun was rising, I was standing on the front porch admiring the sun glinting off all the ice encrusted everything. Then I noticed the truck was gone. She had driven home in 1st gear and so the natural throw from D to P, put it into N, from 1st. Over night it had rolled down the slight hill backwards. The wood shed stopped it from continuing on across the pasture and into (or onto) the pond. Slow roll, so neither was damaged!
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Our 75 Chevy 4x4 had a 203. At the time I was a kid & didn't understand exactly how it worked nor what the different shifting into "LOC" made, other than it was serious business. Fantastic drivetrain.

Bucky

Comment

Went and got the 360/453/203 Sunday. By measuring, it appears to be a direct swap, so I can use my driveshafts, cross member etc.

The 360 has a 600cfm Holley and headers. I went ahead and got the steering column and wheel plus power steering box to complete the manual conversion. Forgot about the trans tunnel hump but I can cut out an automatic one. I'll check and see if he still has it though. Hadn't considered the different radiators but I assume I can just cap off the auto cooler portion of mine & be fine.

I'm thinking I might first put it into a spare parts truck to make sure I have all the pieces and everything functions properly. That way my farm/wood truck isn't down for an extended period while I'm having to replace a gasket/seal or run down a missing carb link or rebuild it etc. It was running and he had a recent clutch in it but it's been sitting a couple months now.

Now that I have the 453 I'm itching to find a PTO and winch... Down the rabbit hole we go...

Hey Bucky, does your W600 have the driveshaft parking brake off the tail of the tranny? Those seem to be a really smart simple application. Better than using the rear axle drums.
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I'm glad you acquired those goodies. Can't have too many drivetrain parts lol.

Actually on my W600 the parking brake drum is on the tail of the Rockwell T223 transfer case. Yes it is simple but mine doesn't really hold that well. The lining is pretty worn. I believe that the 65 W500 I once owned was the same way, on the back of the transfer case.

I do have a spare NP540 from a S600 school bus that has the parking brake drum on it. It's my understanding that the Dodge medium duty trucks were set up with the parking brake on the tranny if 2wd vehicle & on the back of the transfer case if 4wd.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                    X