Build Thread... 1976 W200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Thread... 1976 W200

Ok, here it is, these pictures are from 2001, it's a 1976 W200 3/4 Ton Full Time 4x4 w/a 400cid v8 4 speed manual transmission.

and the motor...

Comment

Good clean truck, does it still look this good? My first was a 78 Club Cab with a 360 auto, I loved full time 4 wheel with limited slip. What color is that?

Comment

and it's current form...

I began the tear down in late 2006... This picture is from December..

Hours and hours with a strip disc removed about 8 feet of grit grime grease from the chassis.... not good enough... So I decided time to sandblast...

Comment

Here's the frame in blast... Looks much much better. Really clean, you can read the vin # on the passenger side of the frame rail.

The second picture there is approximately 230,000 miles on the frame (this picture taken just before pulling engine), and the 400 needs a seal kit (motor is close to 80k in this pic, was rebuilt at 139,900)

Really clean on top, but down under, whew lots of cleaning work to be done!

Comment

as of yesterday...

The frame is 100% blasted with alumininum oxide, was cleaned and cleaned and prepped for paint.

The owner of the blast shop allowed me to help him paint, he taught me how to use an HVLP gun, and we sprayed it with fresh paint. We used PPG DP90LF primer, with DP402LF catalyst (black primer). Sprayed two coats primer, then let it set overnight, and put down two coats of PPG Industrial Black, (sets up looking like a satin/matte black)

Looking from drivers side forward.

Passenger rear looking forward...

Looking down over the entire frame from the rear...

Paint is still wet in these photos so I will take more in a couple days. The paint takes 7 days to cure 100%

Comment

The color in the first photos

is unknown, I know it was purchased at our local carquest and was a ppg color in 1998, but as for numbers?? I have no idea.

The paint was not clear coated and faded very very quickly. That's why it is being refinished from the ground up... To make a best effort at eliminating corrosion and bringing it back as good as it came out of the factory.

When I painted the frame, Wherever the gun couldn't get to I brushed in with primer and paint, to ensure a 100% seal as best as I could. (around shackles, and inside of the cross members where the meet the frame.... places you'll never look when it's assembled. But they are covered and prepped for the elements again!

Comment

So the next focus...

I will be dropping the axles and leaf springs.

Then,
                Separating everything, and having the remainder of the crud blasted off. Then will coat everything with the same paint/primer used to seal up the frame. I will install new bushings all around. Full rebuilds on all four hubs, new drums, discs, pads, seals, u-joints, ball joints etc, after the blasting/paint is finished.

Approximately 4 weeks into this with the goal of June 30th in mind for a completion date. More progress is imminent!

I will be reassembling it with new hardware, and touch up painting all the bolts and and hardware for corrosion. So my hopes are it should last another 20 years! Being as it will be kept in a garage and out of the weather. This is the truck I'll be taking to the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous this year....

Comment

Budget build

It's on a budget so only issus with paint/wiring will be addressed initially, that is the reason for the tear down. The rust was converting some pieces back into what mother nature intended them for (fertilizer!) So if it ain't broke it's going back on.

The clutch, tranny and transfer case are new and have less than 30k...

Motor was rebuilt a while back...

Suspension is in decent shape, needs wear items replaced. Then it will be excellent.

Overall it should cost me less than $6,000 but there are the incidental costs of rust repairs, oh yeah, and automotive paints are very inexpensive for the good stuff! Sarcasm, it gets me through life!

Comment

Been there done that. I started out with my 59 W200 like you did with stripping. Sandblasting is the only way other than dipping a frame to get it all. A real pain to get into the tough spots so I can relate. I painted mine with Napa chassis black that I sprayed over an etching primer. I used POR 15 on tough spots and it seeped in very well I believe. It's all in the prep no matter what you're painting. The problem is no one knows but you how much work went into getting that way. Are you keeping track of your hours on the project. I'm restoring seberal Power Giants and have running journal of what I do each time I working on them. One, it gives you something to look back on when your done and two it makes me right down the hours for billing later. It's amazing how many hours you rack up on one of these. I was only asking about the color because it's an odd color in my opinion but it may be the picture too. Mine was maroon over silver with a maroon interior. I really miss that truck sometimes. I had 140 K on it when I sold it after a repaint. It had the Adventurer package with the high and low trip held on with studs. These are notorious for holding moisture and dirt which of course causes rust. I removed all my trip and studs when I repainted the truck. Wish I knew what happened to it. By the way Gordon is always looking for articles for the magazine and this has the makings of a good one. Hint use the journal. Oh and do as I say, not as I do .ha ha Yes Gordon I'll get it out to you. (Inside joke)

Comment

The color is definitely odd.

When it was first painted took a while to get used to it...

The hours and hours I've spent working on this are incredible... I can't even begin to add it up, I will keep a log from here on in, but the time and effort that goes into this is nuts... Planning, stripping, prepping, painting, assembling... I've undertaken, swaps and re-wire projects but this, an all inclusive rebuild is huge.

If Gordon wants to use it as an article for the magazine, that'd be fine with me. I am planning on subscribing to it friday. Figure I could use all the information that I can get my hands on!

Comment

Is that a Pioneer 8 track in truck. Looks just like the one I had in my HEMI Cuda' back in the early 70's.

Comment

Sure is. I still have the stereo, but it is no longer in the truck! Pioneer 8 track, still works. I replaced it with a cd player!

Comment

oh and what do you mean by "journal"

"Hint use the journal."

Comment

Great truck, great project, I'd love to see the PWA article on it! :)

Good luck with it, and please post more pics as you progress!!

JS

Comment

Working...
                              X