383/727

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383/727

I got a lead on a cheap 383/727 out of a 2wd. Since I have a divorced 205 tcase can I bolt this in place of my 360 and np435 if I get the bigblock mounts and mod the transmission mount? I'm about 300 miles from home so I can't measure my transmission. Thanks guys

383/727

The tranny probably has the long tailshaft. The transfer case isn't far enough back for this setup to fit. The 727 short tail can be fitted to your transmission but requires that the tranny be torn down completely. So, between finding a short tailshaft and the labor to install it your cheap part of the equation went out the door. Maybe you are lucky and it is the short version, but check it out before you invest.

Dennis

Comment

Well the transmission needs to be rebuilt so I just need the short tailshaft and output shaft? Ill be tearing it down t self so labor is free thankfully. Thanks

Comment

Seeing as the 360 is an SB and the 383 is a BB, you can use the trany parts from the SB tany to do your BB trany. That will give you your output shaft and short tail shaft to put onto the other transmission. I crossed this with a local 4x4 shop, and they said this can be done. Just swap out the tail sections from the two transmissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
          Seeing as the 360 is an SB and the 383 is a BB, you can use the trany parts from the SB tany to do your BB trany. That will give you your output shaft and short tail shaft to put onto the other transmission. I crossed this with a local 4x4 shop, and they said this can be done. Just swap out the tail sections from the two transmissions.
          I believe his current transmission is a 4-speed NP435, don't think much from it will work in the 727.

Comment

Well I got the transmission. $175 for a 383/727 combo I couldn't complain. Its a long shaft, but the local trans shop is going to swap it out for the 4wd tailshaft. It will be done soon as the engine is finnished.

Comment

Before you get too far -

Are you getting a 4wd short shaft that has a yoke or the system intended for a married transfercase? There is a difference.

Just double-checking for you to make sure things work...

Pieter

Comment

Yes, a bolt on yoke 4wd short tailshaft is what the shop is trying to find.I wish I could have found a junk M880 to get the trans/case/axle from but I just couldn't pass up this deal!

Comment

If you have your Trany shop contact Sidco 4x4 in Glencoe, MN they have dozens of these parts you are looking for. Sid is very resonable in prices and would ship them out to you or your trany shop.

Here is his web site:

Sidco 4x4 Web

Sidco 4x4
                  Glencoe,MN 55336
                  320-864-7500

He has too many toys but is heavy into mudding as you will see via his web site. Sid is a wonderful person to work with and loaded with knowledge. Kind of like lots that I have found here (cough cough JimmyD & Norm cough cough)

Comment

Well so far one of the heads is cracked between teh chamber and the spark plug hole. I've still got to tear the block down and get it checked out. If anyone around GA has a 906 head let me know please! And as a backup anyone with a 413/440 short block thats buildable let me know...Thanks

Comment

Check out 440source for B/RB Mopar info...While I know the 906 was THE head back in the day I think today in the right hands most any head can be worked over enough to give you the flow that you want...Of course I'm running 906's myself, but they came on my first car a 69 "X"..

Comment

Well I picked up a 440 block/crank/906 heads. Block was just bored .060 and the cranks been ballanced. I'm selling off my 360+big block 727 to fund this build. I'm kinda leaning to keeping the np435 now, so I need a bell housing. I'm keeping the 383. I've run across a couple 400s and 2 more 440s I'm looking at getting ahold of. Its additcive :-)

Comment

Was the flywheel included in the balance job? Are you planning on using the 360 flywheel? It may not be balanced properly for the 440. I just sold a brand new in the box flywheel (neutral balance 143 tooth) that would have worked for your set-up. I found my big block bellhousing on Ebay for just over $200. I went with the factory one not an aftermarket (lakewood). I used a 12" clutch/pressure plate from a PAW catalog. The clutch disk is Mcleod #260123. The pressure plate is Mcleod #360250 Borg & Beck style. There are others to pick from. I'm running a 440 mated to a 435 and a divorced 205 case. If you need a new flywheel I can give you a link for that also.

Comment

No i wasn't planning on using the 360 flywheel. I didn't think it would work right. I don't think the crank was balanced with the flywheel/flexplate. I didn't get one with the engine, just the ballancer. I looked at the Lakewood housing, but I'm going with stock like you did. One less thing to mess up :-). I haven't pulled the 435 out but I've been told it has a 1" 23 spline shaft. I'm looking at 2 RAM clutches
                            http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Either one will get used with the correct big block flywheel when the time comes to put it in( I'm going to run the 360 till the 440 is built)

Comment

Yes that year the 435 would be 1" 23 spline input. The clutches you show from summit are 11" which will work fine. I chose to go 12" with mine. Did you check to see if your 440 crank is drilled for a pilot bushing?

Comment

Working...
                              X