Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Pix

Comment

If it was me I'd go with the 383 and build a stroker. All kinds of stuff in the equation but bottom line: it can make far more power that a heated up 440, and is more reliable. Adventurer Sport on this forum built one [only guy here that I know of] and loves it. Already having a 440 + 383you've got a lot of what's needed for the build and I've never heard anything but rave reviews of the results.

http://www.arengineering.com/articles/articleframe.html

http://www.houstonmopars.org/stroker.html

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
        If it was me I'd go with the 383 and build a stroker.
        I will keep that in mind.

I do have a 383 question. I was told that the stock 383 pistons would not work well with the .509 purple shaft. First I was told that there wouldn't be clearance for the valves, I also have a set of 1.6 rockers. From what I've read so far clearance will not be a problem. I have also heard that I will not have enough compression to make use of set up from carb to cam.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
          First I was told that there wouldn't be clearance for the valves, I also have a set of 1.6 rockers. From what I've read so far clearance will not be a problem.
          No matter what you build, always check the piston to valve clearance yourself before you are done. You'll sleep better that way.

Comment

What OLD DODGE said!

I add these links for info, not suggesting they're great sources to purchase from, maybe, maybe not? But thinking you can call them up and ask questions, like on the 1.6:1 rockers, piston height etc.

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/stro...ys-400499.html

http://www.rpmmachine.com/400-499-ch...-stroker.shtml

http://www.speedomotive.com/ps-494-1...roker-kit.aspx

Camlift tech: http://www.speedomotive.com/t-TechnicalInformation.aspx

In one of those article links I previously posted the Houston Mopars guy talks about .485 lift cam, that's all I saw. I think Victory Library 'Panic papers' has info on the subject?

Comment

No amount of measuring or math will take the place of verification. I use 1/8" of modeling clay. That corresponds to the assumed "squelch" area required for valve clearance.

You want to see this:

But after installing these on a motor that they are not designed for:

You might see this:

I didn't see those marks until I went to 3/16" of clay, so all was well....= )

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that info Norm. Just today I stopped at a local speed shop and I was told the same thing. The guy at the counter told me to use modeling clay, torque the head down and see what I had for clearance.

Comment

I would usually to do my clearance checks with a solid lifter and without a head gasket. That way your results may guide you in your choice of head gasket or it may not matter what gasket you use. Just be careful when turning the crankshaft in case you have an interference issue.

Comment

I would caution to be wary of torquing down the head without a gasket.

The clay works pretty well, there is also a trick used to harden the clay then mic it, but the method used has worked very well. so far.

Comment

Hey QuantumJo,
                      Great project and welcome to the forum. There is a number of guys here that know alot about those trucks, not to mention any names like MoparNorm...
                      The picture is of 1985 4x4 we picked up and modified slightly a few years ago, they look awesome when you get them done.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                        I would caution to be wary of torquing down the head without a gasket.
                        I omitted that I was also told to use a gasket.

Nice ride Jake, very sharp. Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

The Adventurer SE :)

Last week I started my search for a 72 – 79 Club Cab. I started with ebay, just to see what these rigs are fetching. I only saw one 75 W200 CC and the bid was at $2,900. Next I went to craigs list for the state of NY. When I come up empty handed from that search I started in on all my neighboring states. In Lehighton PA I come across an ad for a 77 D200 CC. After talking with the seller for I was that it’s an Adventurer and the body is very clean.

Friday My friend and I made plans for the 5.5 hr trip to go and take a look at it. We packed the XJ with tools and a tow bar so if the truck was a keeper we could get it home. We finally got to bed around midnight. After 4 hrs of sleep my alarm clock went off at 4am and we were rolling down the road by 5am. When we got there and had a look at the truck I knew this was the truck for my build. The body was in great shape and all indicators pointed that the advertised miles of 67k was spot on. In PA all I had to do was get to a notary for a 30-day temporary paper tag. With tags in hand we got back to the truck, hooked the XJ up to the tow bar and headed to the local NAPA store to get an adapter for auxiliary towing lights. On the way there, the right caliper seized closed on the rotor. Three parts stores and 5 hrs later we capped off the port for the front brake lines, leaving the Adventurer with rear breaks only we towed the XJ home.

At just about midnight we wheeled into my driveway still amped up from the drive home we dove right into the case of Rolling Rocks… 8 beers later we were out like a light.

I knew that from the onset this build would be an adventure, I couldn’t have predicted that it would lead me to an Adventurer SE.

Comment

Another pic

What's the deal with the Camper 7500 emblem? Is this a special model?

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                              What's the deal with the Camper 7500 emblem? Is this a special model?

Since I doubt that this is a 4 ton truck...= )...I'd speculate that it's a 7500 GVW model.
                              I haven't seen that before, but we had Camper Specials in CA that were 8500 GVW to be exempt from emission testing.

Comment

Looks like a real score, Joe! Looks like you're going to end up with one fine rig, all the right goodies. I envied you that road trip, I'm a lot like a dog with his head sticking out the window of the old pickemup and slobbering in the wind for those trips!

Did you see the post in these forums by the fella looking for a 383 engine? Don't know if that could help you both or not, just mentioning it.

Comment

Working...
                                X