94 and up woes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 and up woes??

I've been searching like crazy to replace my 87 Ramcharger with a later model pickup.I've looked at 100's of them, My question is ,why from 150,00kms-250,00 kms why have all the trannys and or engines been replaced\rebuilt,z-71 Chevy trannys also seem to go this way?..This to me seems ludicris to have to count on a big cash dump when you hit mid-life kms. Main parts with even minimum regular maintaince should last longer than that ??
    What gives? Are there sending units\sensors or some computer goof up that us not-so-techno guys are missing that causes these trucks to implode.
    Even the mint cond trucks,driven by little old men on sundays have these issues..?? It can't be all from abuse or poor maintaince..
    What should I be looking for if I buy one of these trucks?
    It would be nice to drive something a little bit more modern, but I don't want a bunch of headaches either.
    On the other hand I do have a line on a soild '75,3\4 ton ,440 Club cab,although old, these trucks have none of the above issues..agree\disagree?
    Curious
    Andy

conveniences are killing us

the more we rely on complicated processes to make decisions for us, the less control we actually have over the machine and its operation. " My 89 Ramcharger and all its sensors and controllers has become a trouble shooting nightmare. Way to many variables for my liking. Take the 75 club cab! make sure you grease the front bearings. does the 87 have fuel injection?

Comment

Some just depend on how you treat them. I know of a 96 Ram 1500, used mainly for farm work and hauling, that has 300k on it. It still has its orginal transmission and engine. Outside of some normal u-joint replacement and wiring work, it has needed nothing else. Reg upkeep has been done (tune ups, oil changes, fluid changes).
      Their 98 Suburban was not so lucky, it already had the engine rebuilt and transmission replaced (it also has over 300k on it). Believe this is due to their kids drive this one more then the Dodge.

So some have a bad rep not due to design, but more so due to abuse and lack of care.

Just my 2 cents for the day

Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
        the more we rely on complicated processes to make decisions for us, the less control we actually have over the machine and its operation. " My 89 Ramcharger and all its sensors and controllers has become a trouble shooting nightmare. Way to many variables for my liking. Take the 75 club cab! make sure you grease the front bearings. does the 87 have fuel injection?
        My 87 R\C was on propane and ran like a dream as long as it was plugged in in winter.
        Andy

Comment

I agree with 74w300. Buy the '75 truck. No computer, fuel injection, etc. to mess up on you. A fuel pump for the '75 costs about thirty dollars, and you can change it yourself in twenty minutes or less. Late model fuel pumps cost around three hundred dollars, and you have to remove the gas tank to change it. That is just one example of the difference in maintenance costs between old and new. I could go on and on. The '75 truck can be maintained for a fraction of the cost of maintaining a late model vehicle.

Comment

My 2 cents... stay away from a TBI (Throttle body injection) If that 75 is a solid truck and you don't mind running a 440 with current gas prices, I'd pick it up in a heart beat. Parts a readily available and you can get spare parts as they become available cheap.

Or try to find a 1st generation cummins truck. All depends what you need/want out of this vehicle.

Pieter

Comment

Working...
            X