What to watch out for in an '06 Ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to watch out for in an '06 Ram?

I have an '02 2500 2wd, 5 speed standard and 5.9 CTD. I've had the dash replaced, and a new injector pump and lift pump. It needs paint but overall a really good tough truck it is! My best fuel mileage is around 22 in town, 20 highway not towing anything.

Would I be foolish to trade it for an '06 5.9 HO, 6 speed standard, 4wd? What fuel mileage should I expect with this package? Things I've heard about the different type of fuel injection from '03 on make me think stay with the '02. Are my fears unfounded? Are there any issues/problems that are common with the '06.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

The fact that you would change from two to four wheel drive complicates the comparison. I don't think, from what I understand, that you could get the mileage with the 06 that you can get with the 02.

The 03 and on trucks are quieter. They also have some costly fuel parts the 02 does not, though the tendency of the earlier series to consume FI pumps may be easily a trade-off.

You seem to imply that you consider a particular 06 truck. That, and the move to 4X4 makes this, to a large degree, a question for you alone to determine.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I do have my eye on a SRW 3500 LWB, really nice truck. What I have now is actually the 1st 2WD truck I've ever had. Obviously 4WD has positive benefits, plus the '06 (at least as far as I can tell from pictures) has a much more user friendly cab. The small rear doors are a real pain sometimes. From what I read the newer fuel injection is supposedly more efficient, so I'm wondering if there is a point when under a load the stronger engine would actually get better fuel mileage than my '02? I know of course the bottom line is it takes fuel to make power.

Comment

Yep, it's a question only I can answer

As we all do, I'm just looking to make a somewhat sound decision on whether to pursue this truck. When looking at used trucks it's tough to find one that has just what a person wants, in this case 3500, standard, long bed, 4WD, and in excellent condition.

Comment

Google mileage for that truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            Google mileage for that truck.
            I have but there is more garbage out there than good answers.

Comment

I have been told that the seats in the 94-02 trucks are more comfortable than the 03-09 trucks, even though the older trucks have less total interior room. I can't say. I drove a 95 reg cab 1500 4x4 from 95-98 & have driven an 06 2500 quad 4x4 on occasion, but the 8 yr gap has clouded my tailbone's memory. I don't recall neither as being uncomfortable.

I agree the 06 doors are more useful.

Bucky

Comment

Well I bought the truck, couldn't find a reason not to. After looking at it on the lot I couldn't bear to leave it there so I figured I'd park it at my house instead. It's everything I thought it would be and then some. Since having 2 Cummins is even better than one I kept the other truck. I'll end up giving it to my son though.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Great! It's beautiful.

Comment

Thankfully it's a long bed!

Nice!!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                        X