Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery '59

Hey guys,

I have acquired a 1959 W200. I have a little mystery here with this truck. I am aware of about 53 units being built as heavy 200's. This is what I have found out in literature.

My truck is a 4 wheel drive W200 with a dually axle. Here is where it gets interesting.

I bought this truck from the original owners wife, he is deceased. This truck has not been modified at all.
    The axle rating on this unit it 6500 lbs. I am confused as my other W200 has an axle rating of 5500 lbs.

Any ideas? By the way she is in great shape, no rust , 318 poly four on floor and 48K original miles.......and I paid $200 for it.

Man life is good...

Lucky

Nice catch.

Comment

If there is a difference between a 200 and a heavy 200, that might be your answer.

Comment

My w200 rear axle is also 6500 as Darryl said there were options back then as today different,also different ratings for front axles

Comment

Well I believe if YOU also have a truck with a 6500 gaw then you also may have a rare heavy.

There should be no variance in GAW in a standard 3/4 ton rig. Hince the term of the truck.

Is your truck a dual wheel setup?

Comment

According to my literature the standard and only rear axle offered for the 1959 M series W200 was a Dodge manufactured one rated at 6500 lbs capacity. This axle combined with the standard rear springs rated at 1750 lbs each gave a GVW rating of 6000 lbs. If you got the optional springs, rims, and tires the GVW was bumped up to 8000 lbs. The book doesn't show any changes to either GVW class for running dual rear wheels. Is your "other W200" a different year?

Comment

Originally posted by Thinair33 View Post
              Well I believe if YOU also have a truck with a 6500 gaw then you also may have a rare heavy.

There should be no variance in GAW in a standard 3/4 ton rig. Hince the term of the truck.

Is your truck a dual wheel setup?
              Its a single rear axle it does have as old dodge pointed out the dual rear leafs and a gvw of 8000 lbs. The front axle is listed as 3000, 4.8 rear 4 speed 420 trans and the flathead 6.

Comment

My other unit is a 1965 Crew Cab.

The GVW on my tag IS 8K. I was just a little confused by the setup on the truck.

The guy that bought the truck new, Woody from Woody's Welding, always bought heavy duty everything. He was a real nice guy too.

I bought a new ignition switch for this thing, I will put a new battery in and fresh oil next. I plan to run a gas can for fuel to get it started and then flush tank.

I can't wait to driver her. I'll post an as is photo today.

Comment

I'm dying to see photos of your truck.

Comment

Hello guys! I havent posted for a bit. I have been TRYING to keep my company busy in a non-busy economy. duhh

I am working on my W200 again. I want to hear her run.

I am looking for a bed as I do not have one on this truck. Anyone know of a stepbed available?

Comment

Originally posted by Thinair33 View Post
                      Hello guys! I havent posted for a bit. I have been TRYING to keep my company busy in a non-busy economy. duhh

I am working on my W200 again. I want to hear her run.

I am looking for a bed as I do not have one on this truck. Anyone know of a stepbed available?
                      Send me an ad for the magazine; it must include area code and phone number.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/placead.html
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Photo

Here is a photo of my '59 Sorry it took so long to send it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow! I could put that truck to work. Very nice.

Comment

My other project....
                            Attached Files

Comment

I Like That

That Six-Pack reminds me of Minot AFB, Minot, North Dakota.

Comment

Working...
                              X