Repairing cab mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing cab mounts

Pieter and I repaired the cab mounts on the 58 Crispy Critter replacement cab today. It wasn't totally gone but was still rusted through above the floor. We took pictures as went along for later reference. I laided a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the pocket and formed a piece for the vertical round wall of the pocket. I welded the floor piece first to clean metal and then tacked in the other piece. It's a weld and hammer form as you go process that makes a very nice repair. Pieter worked on forming the outside patch and got it welded using the same process. The finished job was ground and topped with Dura-Glas filler which doesn't attract water. A final sanding and it's ready for primer. I did spray weldable primer on the old metal for some insurance before welding the patches in place. Not a fun job to do but it came out very well. Anyone with a PG or TW knows about these front cab mounts.

As I will need to do the cab mounts in my 59 I would like to see the photos when you have them available . I had to repair the body mounts, basically the same concept, in a 52 Plymouth last year so I have a idea what to do but would like to see how you did it on the truck.

Comment

I took pictures as did Pieter so we'll see who's turns out better, like I don't already know. He's got a better camera and skills. I'll post them on my Webshots page if I remember how. Pieter has a Flicker account too. The biggest thing is if you have something left to go by when making the patches. There are two layers of steel in the mount, the floor itself and a second thicker gauge piece which has a turned down edge at the front. This was relatively easy to do with the cab off the frame. It's also easier to take pictures of the outside.

Comment

Who did you get the rubber mounts from are they the same as the early 50's trucks?

Comment

I'm using the originals since they are in good shape. It helps having a western truck to work on. I don't know about the Pilot house trucks but I'm told the insulators were used on the 70's trucks. I refered others to a dealer to see if they had any available. I should check with the dealers we have left in the area.

Comment

Cab Mounts

If your interested Roberts Motor Parts has the mounts, both thicknesses, upper and lower, picked a set up for the 57 ...........Kevin

Comment

Kevin, Are the upper and lower the same? I am looking at a Roberts catalog and only see 1 listed for trucks part # T382 for cars they show a thick and thin.
              Do you know what part# numbers or did you just call up and order them.
              Also are front and rear the same
              Thanks Ed

Comment

Yes these are the T382, there's a 1/4" difference between top and bottom existing mounts, if you use 2 of the thin new mounts it works out the same as shown in the pic.

For some reason on both my 57 and 59 there in no lower mount on the front driver side, just a large washer and bolt up against the bracket.

Comment

Thanks, I plan to get started on the truck in a few weeks, I have it outside right now need to get it into the garage and see what it needs I know the mounts need repair and the shocks look worn maybe original
                  Ed

Comment

Working...
                  X