65 townie body work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 townie body work

Finally got back to work on the townie after several month off. Welded in the fender well patch, ground and body filled the seam. Tomorrow sanding.

Pictures, we need pictures. Glad you are back on the TW. I did an engine swap on mine but have yet to trail test it. So how did the fender patch work out for you?

Comment

Ron, the fender patch worked out great. Again, thanks a million. My goal now is to finish the body work, and get the body painted and back on the frame.

What prompted the engine replacement? 318?

darryl

Comment

The original 318 had been bored .030 previously so I had to use another block. I put very few miles on that rebuild when a knock developed 2 years ago. I bought another poly 318 in Iowa this year very reasonable so I dropped it in this summer. I will tear the rebuilt 318 down to find the offending rod bearing and put it back in the TW. I just wanted to get the TW on the road again quickly. Glad the patch worked out, I've seen botched patches that didn't use the Utiline fender patch. It really is the way to go and I'm sure you'll agree. Pictures please.

Comment

Ron,

Sorry but I didn't take any pictures, and by the time you asked for them, I already had body filler over the patch.

Today I sanded and primed over the patch area. Next I will scuff the epoxy primer on the entire cab, spray on a primer filler, paint green, and get the sucker back on the frame. Of course then I start with the doors fenders and hood.

I'm loving my 59 power giant. It runs great but needs a brake overhaul. I'm going to put in new brake lines too. Also, I have a short somewhere and it keeps drawing down the battery if I don't disconnect the cable each time.

Also, I put new tires on it last month and it really tracks along great.

Is it getting cold up there yet?

Darryl

Comment

Darryl, and here you were doing such a good job at recording your progress. I know the feeling once you get to working who's got time to take pictures? I know what the work looks like I was wanting pictures for the rest of the group.

Glad you're enjoying the 59. The brakes are straight forward with everything available from MC to hoses to wheel cylinders. Don't even try to rebuild the parts just swap in new. Also a good time to change the rear axle grease and repack the front bearings. Get yourself an axle socket for the large nuts rather than using the chisel method you'll ge glad you did. I hate electrical problems. With 50 year old wiring it may take some rewiring to get that gemlin. What tires did you put on the truck?

Yes it's gettimg cold up here high of 38 today. Have a happy Thanksgiving. Ron

Comment

Working...
            X